• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible game. But, The gun play is quite poor, sensitivity is too high on default and too low with tweaking no matter how much you try never feels right. But the atmosphere and dialogue more than makes up for it. Really, I am Loving it.

Seconded. Also stealth mechanics are brilliant. Ability to finish a level without touching anyone ? I love it.

Definitely not a brilliant game. It doesn't let you skip the intro's which annoying and insulting. I do not need to be show for the hundredth time nvidia is the way it's meant to be delayed. Also automatically switches to the 360 controller if you have it plugged in, no way to to set Kb and mouse as the default controls. Because you know everyone rather play an FPS with a controller then Mouse ans KB on the PC.

Definitely not a brilliant game. It doesn't let you skip the intro's which annoying and insulting. I do not need to be show for the hundredth time nvidia is the way it's meant to be delayed. Also automatically switches to the 360 controller if you have it plugged in, no way to to set Kb and mouse as the default controls. Because you know everyone rather play an FPS with a controller then Mouse ans KB on the PC.

so you'd rather judge the game by out of game experience rather than in-game? wow.

yeah NES sucked because you had to blow in the cartridge sometimes. jk

So essentially you do not like the front end of the game? I do not understand why this would completely ruin your entire experience especially if its just a splash screen mainly.

I'm with Gloglebag on this one, the front end is part of the game and if it sucks, it doesn't mean that the game itself sucks, it's just one more step towards frustration. I have Bad Company 2 installed, but rarely play it because everytime I'm like "meh, if I run the game, I need to struggle with the menus, nah, maybe later..."

That said, I didn't have issues with Metro 2033 front end, I mean, I finished the game in only 3 sessions so it didn't manage to piss me off. Great game too!

i don't think i have ever heard of anyone complaining about the interface in a game being part of the gaming experience, so i'll have to disagree. so yes, a game can still be brilliant despite a worse than average interface (not saying that metro 2033 is).

When I go to the theater and I have to sit through 20 minutes of commercials before watching Avatar, I'm going to be pissed off, no matter if the guy next to me keeps saying "don't worry, it's not the actual movie experience, it hasn't started yet!". I've seen more than my share of people raging out of a game after trying to connect to a lobby 10 times in a row like in Left 4 Dead or Modern Warfare 2. A bad interface does influence a game negatively, even if it's not mandatory to have a great interface for a game to be good.

Just imagine that a game you just bought started with this unskippable sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfosJvJxWWg

Would you still think "well, no worries, it's not part of the gaming experience!"? Or would you ALT-F4 the shit out of it and bring the game back to the store?

Just because people don't complain about it all the time doesn't mean it's not a problem. They just have to do with it, but that don't mean it doesn't diminish the global gaming experience.

i get a feeling this is gonna be one of those games are art things. no, no matter what the interface is not part of the game. you wouldn't judge a hotel just by its lobby, or a restaurant by its facade or interior rather than its food. while there are valid criticisms for interfaces of any kind, these are not what distinguish game quality (and certainly we can have a brilliant game despite a bad interface).

i get a feeling this is gonna be one of those games are art things. no, no matter what the interface is not part of the game. you wouldn't judge a hotel just by its lobby, or a restaurant by its facade or interior rather than its food. while there are valid criticisms for interfaces of any kind, these are not what distinguish game quality (and certainly we can have a brilliant game despite a bad interface).

Well, I see you got your opinion on the matter, and I got mine. But personally, of course I would judge an hotel in part for its lobby, and a restaurant in part for its interior. Eating in a smelly basement with cockroaches running around isn't going to leave me a great impression even if the food is amazing. What I was meaning to say is that, yes, a great game can exist with a bad interface, but it shouldn't, and a bad interface isn't going to get people to consider it a great game. It's not exactly the game, but it's part of the experience and of the feeling it's going to leave on you, even if it's not as important as the actual game.

i don't think i have ever heard of anyone complaining about the interface in a game being part of the gaming experience, so i'll have to disagree. so yes, a game can still be brilliant despite a worse than average interface (not saying that metro 2033 is).

Did you ever play Borderlands on the PC? Fun game, but the interface...good god! :lol:

You dont think the reason why you've never heard anyone complain about interfaces in games before is because

1) You haven't read many good reviews

2) An interface isn't that hard to make in most cases, and it will take a lot to fuck it up, so encountering a bad interface isn't common. (But it is still valid as a criticism, because it detracts from the whole game experience if it is bad).

The game is by no means bad, it's remarkably competent compared to many other games from the eastern block. It owes much of it's fun to the great atmosphere they created and I'm grateful they stuck good high res textures for PC gamers. But the purposefully annoying decision do stick out for me, and the gameplay while fun just never go's in to the territory of brilliant either by adding a twist or doing it so good it makes other games look bad. It's a good game I would say 8 out of 10.

edit: also game would have been better if you could carry all the weapons you wanted. As would many games.