Post your favourite movie scenes ever!

Minos

Well why does high production value = not cheap looking? Like I said, it could be a plate of beans type thing where you have the director moving a slider 1 inch to the left and 1 inch the the right on all the settings for 10 days only to set it back to default and hear him scream out "PERFECT!!!!!"

Sorry to be a dick I'm just playing devils advocate :D

Just as an example, maybe you saw chunking express? That's a pretty critically acclaimed foreign film. I think it's ugly, slow and boring. It looks like it was shot by someone who got a camcorder for christmas. You could say "but that's the genius! It's so raw!" in the same sense that you could say Kubrick made the lights artifical (which in normal practice would probably be the opposite of what a director would go for). My argument is that just doing something different doesn't warrant acclaim, it needs to work with the medium and the story, not the directors vanity.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo there is a difference between personal taste and the artistical "value" of something. Even if you don't like something you should be able to appreciate it on a different level if you know a thing or two about the medium or art form. Typical example for me would be Citizen Kane. I find this movie utterly boring and not aged well at all yet i can see why so many people regard it as one of the greatest movies ever.

I've heard many people make the same argument about Citizen Kane...that it completely changed the format of motion picture and introduced new techniques but that at this point to anyone who has been to the movies all their life it can only be boring and cliche. I can understand that. It makes you wonder how much of history is "right place, right time" vs inevitable technical advancement. Or if even such a distinction can be made or is worth making.

didn't mean to start such a big discussion here.

kubrick is hell well known for his work and I don't question that he most probably took alot of thought into every shot. It's just that it doesn't work for me and as I asked around today fellow students most of them told me it didn't work for them either. With all the ero/sex scenes involved it might have well been that a more dramatic/picturesque lighting would have killed the mood and would miss the whole "uncomfortable" feeling involved with the characters. There's quite alot more points bugging me (e.g. cuts and flash-backs), but I don't want to go into that before seeing the moving at least once again.

For example soldiers standing on cars in situations where they should take cover or at least lay on the ground.

The soldiers in the groups never care for their sectors not even in a hostile or unknown environment. Except for one scene i believe where the director must have thought it ads something to it. That stuff is very basic infantry 101. A group always needs 360 degree protection.

There are scenes where they run around like boyscouts. whole group tight together, so that a single grenade could kill them all, not looking left or right. In one scene the group splits up everyone on his own instead giving each other fire protection. I could go on.

• 3 weeks later...