Sign in to follow this  
D3ads

Black Mesa Source

I still say OpFor is better than the original Half-Life. smiley_smug.gif

This.

OpFor was AMAZING. Half-life was groundbreaking though, and had a great story. Without Half-Life there'd be no OpFor, and they're both awesome in their own way. However, for multiplayer, OpFor wins hands down. Also, Shephard is ace. And I actually felt he had more personality than Gordon Freeman.. Though that doesn't really say a lot.

OpFor also had more variety in weapons and enemies, and some really tricky levels (Fuck you level with the explosives and tripwires all over the place, and stupid black ops people with grenade launchers not caring if they blow the whole shit up). The teamwork NPC's were a pretty rad addition. Made you feel part of something bigger than yourself and created more of an atmosphere than the scientists and barney did in Half-Life, where everything was practically about you. It also provided some more insight to the story.

Blue shift was emot_shakehead.gif

The last few times I've played HL I haven't made it all the way thru; I've only played it through once. I usually play the first couple levels of Xen before saying "f this" and moving on :). The gameplay suffers in Xen, and is such a shock of different gameplay style that it kinda takes me out of the game. Although I think the "boss battles" with the big crab thing and Nihilanth are awesome. The crab thing in particular is one of my favorites.

OpFor in general is a much more cohesive, concise experience. It answers a lot of questions and brings up its own, its a very interesting premise. It gives personality and humanity to the legions of marines Gordon slayed in HL, showing the whole situation in an entirely different perspective, but you get that same feeling of survival, of being such a small piece of something enormous going down around you, that made the original so amazingly immersive.

I think it would be interesting to do a similar style of add-on in the perspective of a Vortigaunt in the time between Black Mesa/HL1 and HL2.

I think it would be interesting to do a similar style of add-on in the perspective of a Vortigaunt in the time between Black Mesa/HL1 and HL2.

Its been done but I can't remember what it is called.

Opposing Force is definitely one of the best expansion packs ever, only really rivalled by HL2's Episode Two. I can't say it's better than HL1 as what made OpFor so cool was how it leant on everything the original accomplished and then told it from a different angle — kind of like how it'd be awesome to play HL2 from the perspective of the Combine. But shit, it was great.

Some of the HL1 mods were really awesome. Now they mostly focus on visuals tbh (and that aspect takes a whole lot more work now)

I disagree. It's players who focus on the visuals, so those are the only ones who ever get any attention.

Some of the HL1 mods were really awesome. Now they mostly focus on visuals tbh (and that aspect takes a whole lot more work now)

I disagree. It's players who focus on the visuals, so those are the only ones who ever get any attention.

Can you list some HL2 sp mods with cool concepts behind them? I wasn't looking into it very much last year, maybe missed something good.

(i remember you was working on something but i never got chance to play it)

Can you list some HL2 sp mods with cool concepts behind them? I wasn't looking into it very much last year, maybe missed something good.

There's mine, called "Radiator" (though maybe too esoteric for its own good) http://www.radiator.debacle.us -- I'm trying to make the "high concept" mod except without the ugliness that usually comes with experimentation, you can decide whether I'm successful or not, I guess

There's Dan Pinchbeck's stuff, Dear Esther and Korsakovia http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/ (fairly ugly... the displacement work makes me cry... but pretty high concept and lovely voice acting)

I love anything by Brendon Chung (though not HL2, it easily could've been) http://blendogames.com/ (not ugly, but emphasis on simpler cleaner visuals than the noisy dirty stuff flooding the mod scene these days)

Nestlings (not ugly, but visually kinda mundane, nice and short) http://www.moddb.com/mods/nestlings

Flesh (neon lights, pretty ugly, too many colors -- but a cool mechanic where you see from the eyes of monsters) http://www.fleshmod.com/

POV > Azure Sheep

I hate AS, the levels are so disjointed and poorly made, whereas with POV it seems like DAV actually built something that wasn't just big rooms connected with randomly textured corridors...