Sign in to follow this  
zaphod

IN THIS THREAD I WILL ANSWER YOUR SOURCE QUESTIONS

Its odd, you come to this forum, seems 70% of the people are Source mappers, and you still cant make a basic material shader?

Here's an example of why people often refrain from asking for help.

I wasen't thinking of the one that didn't know. I was thinking of those that did answer, but didn't know. I should be as basic as making a brush in hammer (well, almost as) that a texture should not have its suffix in the material shader.

And, ok, I do fell that people should refrain from asking some questions. I mean, I can see how one could ask if the shader was correct, but them, would he need to ask?

Sorry for not remembering the exact nuances of Valve's material system.

Truth is there are a lot of helpful programs out there that do this job for you, saving time and effort, which is probably why a lot of us are unfamiliar with the exact command lines.

Its odd, you come to this forum, seems 70% of the people are Source mappers, and you still cant make a basic material shader?

Here's an example of why people often refrain from asking for help.

I wasen't thinking of the one that didn't know. I was thinking of those that did answer, but didn't know. I should be as basic as making a brush in hammer (well, almost as) that a texture should not have its suffix in the material shader.

And, ok, I do fell that people should refrain from asking some questions. I mean, I can see how one could ask if the shader was correct, but them, would he need to ask?

Sorry for not remembering the exact nuances of Valve's material system.

Truth is there are a lot of helpful programs out there that do this job for you, saving time and effort, which is probably why a lot of us are unfamiliar with the exact command lines.

I aimed at noone when I wrote that, I just feel that people that map and want to be good at it, also should know something more than just opening hammer, place brushes and models...

Programs that saves time and effort should be used when you know what you are doing, some people put more time in asking, then they would have finding the info theselves.

And, well, again, not to aim at a certain group here, but people making maps for CSS/HL2, are not, hmm... well they just don't seems able to search and find things out for themselves at the same extent that maybe Doomers and Unrealers do... even though its morbidly easy to find and learn.

opening hammer and adding props? ive modelled and done texture work for hl1, that didnt require writing this shit

and i copy-pasted the skybox shader from the source sdk, so i actually did do some searching.

ok, im trying to import an OBJ into xsi so i can get it into hl2 and unreal, but when i select my obj to import, and try to import it, theres nothing there. help?

it's a bitch to get it to look decent?

No, I have no problem with that. Its more that I noted that some of them got corrupted. I think its because a bug in the vmf or something, or some other ent, its very strange, cause the problem follows even when I copy the map to a new, but I'm sure it will go away when I redo the map... (*sigh*)

I'm trying to write a texture shader for source. Cel shading, like in jet grind radio or xiii. ive been researching for about two days strait now and have only come up with cel shading theory and some source code for opengl cel shader (download here).

Im totally stuck.

I'm trying to write a texture shader for source. Cel shading, like in jet grind radio or xiii. ive been researching for about two days strait now and have only come up with cel shading theory and some source code for opengl cel shader (download here).

Im totally stuck.

Firstly, you need to learn HLSL to write shaders for HL2. It's not too hard to learn if you know a bit of GLSL or CG, as they're all fairly similar. You just need to learn the syntax.

Secondly, the main concept of cartoon shading is picking out the sillhouette edges. There's a million papers on this out there and it's in just about any shader book you could care to mention.

Research and then implement. If you've found some research materials then you need to enter stage two and actually figure out the practical side for yourself (that's the fun part). I would recommend that you download rendermonkey and learn to use it; it's an invaluable shader programming dev tool.

OK, so I decided to start mapping again. Anyways whats the entity for making steam? I have a pipe and I want steam to come out at the joint

Are you seriously telling me it was too hard to find the env_steam?

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Env_steam

wh44t , okay , i got a Q .. ive looked through tons of sites but they don't tell me this : I got my displacement maps placed and done.. but now i want another side of that same brush as a displacement map .. but I can't do that without destroying the whole... right ? that's the Q :)

Sign in to follow this