Alan Wake

skdr

1 hour ago, El Moroes said:

The immersion I had in the universe they gave me.
This was in a unusual location at this time (a location I always loved and where I would like to discover in real live), the story was good, the character too (not a badass guy, not a common hero we can find everywhere), funny pnj and partner, the gameplay wasn't bad at all ; I liked this idea to play with the lights, the shadows, how to use it to kill an enemy,...

I lived a cool adventure with this game. 

1 hour ago, ElectroSheep said:

I really liked the game too. From what I remember, it's because it was pretty solid on every aspects.

Yeah my main attraction for this game has been the Pacific North-West, how much was capturing Twin Peaks and some Stephen King vibes… then the graphics for its time was really great, thanks to the outstanding lighting.

Many criticised the limited inventory and repetitive cycle of the story that lead to remove them, but I liked it. Was logica for the character and satisfying when mastered.

Things I didn’t like were self-referencing and the forced “tv-show” structure. That really needs to be dynamic and session-based, in my experience the recaps just broke the flow intesa of enhancing it.

As I wait for my Oculus Rift S to arrive in the mail (Finally!!) I decided to boot Alan Wake American Nightmare.

This expansion came out in 2012, the year I moved to California, so I never got around to play it. With the exception of the DLC they just release for Control, it was the only piece of content that Remedy every released that I haven't experienced.
It takes place in a Arizona desert evening, and it's in many ways similar to the main game, the story is really weird but the message behind the writing is actually fairly easy to interpret, not like Control where it's just weird for the sake of being weird. Alan Wake, the writer is basically fighting his archetypal Carl Jung-like "shadow", the version in him that wants to party, take advantage of others, basically go all out epicurean. Something that I'm sure every artist that "makes it" has to fight against, the dark side of success. Interesting premise for sure.

It's kinda weird to play a game released in a pre PBR era, it feels like watching 70mm film in a modern TV. There's a certain look that's obviously dated for today's standards, but at the same time there's a magic to it that's becoming quite nostalgic, really interesting feeling. Combat, writing, graphics, sound, voice-over all feel like they come from an era with a certain artistic innocence that I kind of miss in today's video games.

10 hours ago, [HP] said:

As I wait for my Oculus Rift S to arrive in the mail (Finally!!) I decided to boot Alan Wake American Nightmare.

This expansion came out in 2012, the year I moved to California, so I never got around to play it. With the exception of the DLC they just release for Control, it was the only piece of content that Remedy every released that I haven't experienced.
It takes place in a Arizona desert evening, and it's in many ways similar to the main game, the story is really weird but the message behind the writing is actually fairly easy to interpret, not like Control where it's just weird for the sake of being weird. Alan Wake, the writer is basically fighting his archetypal Carl Jung-like "shadow", the version in him that wants to party, take advantage of others, basically go all out epicurean. Something that I'm sure every artist that "makes it" has to fight against, the dark side of success. Interesting premise for sure.

It's kinda weird to play a game released in a pre PBR era, it feels like watching 70mm film in a modern TV. There's a certain look that's obviously dated for today's standards, but at the same time there's a magic to it that's becoming quite nostalgic, really interesting feeling. Combat, writing, graphics, sound, voice-over all feel like they come from an era with a certain artistic innocence that I kind of miss in today's video games.

The story part was even more game-y than the main game, but I've spent so many hours try to beat the horde maps, really great way to spend your lunch break. Alan Wake combat was great, with the additional weapons and no worry of running out of bullets, it was just more fun.

I think Alan Wake has aged very well thanks to the fantastic volumetric lighting and great art direction overall. The big downside of it was the animations, which were stiff just as much as Max Payne 😕 i guess that was pre-motion capture era for them.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Still haven’t played the PC version that had some upgrades 😕 

(I preordered the special X360 edition back then and played the game from start to finish every time a new DLC was available – still didn’t find all thermos or knocked all the cans 🤣)

Edited by blackdog

I can't wait to find all the manuscript pages, read all the touristic info, collect all the coffee thermoses, knock over the cans, watch all the night springs specials and locate every single hidden supply cache! No, really... the setting is so good I don't mind taking my time around. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, tune in to all radio broadcasts. Great music ;) 

Pretty much!

Amazing game, I'll totally play it again specially if they spent the time polishing a few edges and modernized a few things. I think I only played AW once and I still remember vividly most of the game, specially the story and characters.

Fuck man, no one can top Remedy when it comes to storytelling! 

If you told me this was the original trailer for the X360 launch, I would believe you

I was expecting the trailer to (subtly) highlight the improvements… I mean the sorest point in the presentation department was the facial animation, so I would have liked to see a brief cut showing they worked on that, instead the glimpses make me fear it’s been left untouched. Alan’s face seems more detailed (pardon me I’m only on mobile atm, but impressive stuff is impressive no matter where you look at it)