that's the thing really, the game isn't about the combat as much as it is about the rpg part really. i loved the ability to modify your weaponry and based on how much ammo you had, you would choose when to wage battle against big daddies. i can understand this is too much of a challenge for people who love killzone et all...

That's a very elitist comment.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a Shooter, an FPS Shooter. So yes its about combat. When theres something you do 90% of the game, then the game is pretty much about that. I dont think you're customizing your weapons 90% of the game? Customizing guns isnt something new either, and you're just coming off as a dick to think that we're all not liking this game THAT HARD just because you can customize your weapons.

And its not like you could customize them a lot either.

I was playing the PC version, and to me it felt like an console game where the aiming and shooting of guns was very weird and that it was a step backwards in terms of SHOOTING A GUN IN A SHOOTER. So i grew bored and stopped playing.

I'm gonna have to agree with Skjalg. It's not that Bioshock isn't an FPS/RPG, but to say it's more about the RPG than the FPS is a bit much. Bioshock's RPG elements were so stripped down compared to other FPS/RPGs (STALKER, System Shock, hell even Borderlands) that when you put it next to them for comparison, there's barely just a skim off the top of RPG. Upgrade weapons? Yeah, sure, but in an incredibly linear fashion. No inventory management in an RPG? A fairly linear story line that, when boiled down to its core, really is just a linear shooter? There's really no alternate quests or choices to make (sans Little Sisters, but that's about it and from what I recall, there's no middle ground between the two. You harvest three or more for Adam and you get the evil ending, less than that you get the good ending).

I'm not saying that Bioshock doesn't have RPG elements, but to say that Bioshock is more about the RPG than the FPS just seems wrong. Bioshock is an FPS first with an RPG afterthought. Bioshock has about as much RPG elements as Wolfenstein does.

that's the thing really, the game isn't about the combat as much as it is about the rpg part really. i loved the ability to modify your weaponry and based on how much ammo you had, you would choose when to wage battle against big daddies. i can understand this is too much of a challenge for people who love killzone et all...

That's a very elitist comment.

the last part was meant in jest :wink:

• 3 months later...

Bioshock is probably one of my favourite first 1-3 hours of a game ever though. The opening and the decent to rapture was great, and learning all the mechanics through this period was exciting. But after those first few hours the game seemed to run out of new things to throw at you, apart from new environments to effectively do the same thing as the last one in. I kept playing because i found the world engaging, i jsut don't think the actual game play didn't update itself as well as the environment art. That being said, Bioshock is still one of the few games I've managed to finish almost in one go without a break in between, somethign kept pulling me back to it. I jsut don't think I'm ready to do it all over again, unless number 2 offers some significant new game play features. Bioshock is still one of my favourite games just for the world it's created within. Same with STALKER really, gameplay wise it stagnates pretty quickly, but it's the environment that carries me through those games. Better than games like Far Cry 2, where both the gameplay (which isn't even as complex to begin with) AND the art just repeat themselves.

I think it's just a problem with scary games in general. After the first few hours and a few scares, the effect starts to wear thin on me. I had the same issues with Doom 3 and Dead Space. Maybe it's just a psychological reaction to reject the immersion to avoid being drawn in so that when monsters jump out, it won't give that same mental shock as the first few good scares did. Thankfully, Bioshock laid off the "GOTCHA!" monster closet crack pipe a few hours in, leaving you with the corridor shooter and creepy atmosphere for most of the rest of the game.

I think one horror game that did a great job with being scary, but not overdoing the startle moments were the first 2 Silent Hill games. Perhaps it's the continual transitioning from creepy but relaxing foggy town to total nightmare that keeps things from getting stale.