Sign in to follow this  
skdr

Left 4 Dead

I'm the first person that say, fuck visuals this game is pure fun! :)

It's funny tho, despite the fun factor of this game, we all know l4d looks very 2004, but I don't see anyone bitch about it! ;P (While on the fallout 3 thread...... rotfl)

":1z4hvzyu](While on the fallout 3 thread...... rotfl)

That's where my last comment came from. I guess I should have used more smilies...

But I wonder what will be the next improvements Valve will bring to their engine to rival the latest batch of games. L4Dead proves that Source is aging, it's a great game with great visuals, but you can feel where the engine starts to feel dated.

I don't know if it's just me but I don't think it looks dated at all. Keep in mind that this is a multiplayer game first of all.. and not just multiplayer but co-op. so everything is quite low res. It's not using a lot of normal mapping that's for sure but I personally think it looks much better than most games that have more advanced features like that. The environments look awesome and nicely balanced, awesome lighting as usual from valve and everything looks uniform and polished.

I love it. and the game is fucking fun :D

I don't know if it's just me but I don't think it looks dated at all.

Yep, I'd say it looks great in some places. The character models in particular. And hey it runs and 60fps. Not a damn hitch and I've got it cranked.

Beat Chapter 2 just now as well. So good.

I don't know if it's just me but I don't think it looks dated at all. Keep in mind that this is a multiplayer game first of all.. and not just multiplayer but co-op. so everything is quite low res. It's not using a lot of normal mapping that's for sure but I personally think it looks much better than most games that have more advanced features like that. The environments look awesome and nicely balanced, awesome lighting as usual from valve and everything looks uniform and polished.

I love it. and the game is fucking fun :D

I couldn't agree more on this.

I guess I'm nitpicking. I'm not playing it on a very powerful machine so that may have something to do with my opinnion on the game's looks.

I haven't finished all campaigns yet. I refuse to play them singleplayer and it is hard to get a game going with the new system from Brazil as I think the main server providers are always full. I haven't tried using the server browser trough the console yet, I'll give that a try today.

What always helps alot for servers is being in a steam-group with good servers. Our hlportal Group has 4 exclusive servers which allows me to play most of the time with low ping and good players, which is really enjoyable.

I guess I'm nitpicking. I'm not playing it on a very powerful machine so that may have something to do with my opinnion on the game's looks.

Haha, what? "I wish this game ran even worse on my computer and I had to turn down the settings even lower to play!" :v Why would you complain about the graphics if you can't see the full graphics?

Haha, what? "I wish this game ran even worse on my computer and I had to turn down the settings even lower to play!" :v Why would you complain about the graphics if you can't see the full graphics?

he said it looked like it was aging?

I have seen the game running on "state-of-the-technology" machines, but the majority of my playtime has been on a machine where for my taste the game has to set at middle-high settings.

And what I meant by the game/engine aging is due to some factors such as: Low polygon models (but then sometimes there are dozens of zombies on the screen), lack of proper dynamic lights/shadows, and the fact that the player models do not blend in with the environment as much as I`d expect (clipping issues such as weapons going trough doors and a character`s feet being inside non-solid geometry).

None of the points above depend on graphics settings per-se (perhaps the model quality, but mine are maxed anyway, even if higher resolution helps alleviate this). And so it looks like the Source engine would need some reworking to fix some of these issues, and more that may arise, in order to keep up with the next batch of highly technologically polished games. And then it would be Valve`s work to tweak their engine to keep up, something I have confidence they will do masterfully.

But then I also said that I might be nitpicking because the game is freaking awesome and I just wish I had more hours per day to play.

I can't understand people who aren't contented with the game because of some minor (imho) graphical issues - graphics are a part of the atmosphere creation process. They don't have to be 100% up-to-date or 100% realistic for that matter, they "just" have to carry over the message, which they do pretty well for a MP game, if you ask me.