Sign in to follow this  
skdr

Left 4 Dead

":1cw45dij]Who cares guys, this is "streets of rage" with guns and zombies

Was talking about the same thing with someone the other day. With Left 4 Dead, Gears 2 Horde Mode and Call of Duty 5's Zombie Mode, everything's just going back to fucking space invaders :lol:

No it isn't. Funny thing I just finished reading A theory of Fun today and I compared it alot to Left4Dead while reading. The core-mechanic is the same as in Space-Invaders, yes. You have a bunch of dumb enemies and you shoot them in right timing - add 3D and you're done. But that's not the point of the game and it would most certainly not give it credit. As Koster puts it: What the game is trying to teach and what it's really about is Team-Work. It's the same lesson applied in Team-Fortress 2 allthough the graphical medium is a completely different one and the rules of the core-mechanic are alot different. There are three layers on this game: Core-Mechanic (Space Invaders), Teach/Fun-Part (Team Work) and Graphical Medium (Comic-Style/Zombie-Apocalypse both Gory).

It's not fun to play Space-Invaders 25hrs in just one week, even if it's 3D. We strike through the Graphical Medium and directly see the Core-Mechanic if this is the only thing the game offers. It's not fun because you don't learn anything, you don't progress. And the only thing that makes fun in games is progress and learning. And we had enough games teaching us timing and virtual-aiming. What we learn or what we progress in as gamers is Team-Care and Team-Communication. It changes the game from Space-Invaders to a much deeper experience not only in visuals but in terms of how you play. And most gamers find team-work appealing because it's something they can shift theyr experiences (in a very abstract form) from virtual to real world and viceversa.

I really enjoyed the demo, but when I tried out the full game at lunch today it was far too laggy to be fun :( I'm not sure what the story is there, I'll see what it's like after work, hopefully it was just something odd happening at the time.