Bugs... mostly

Blunkka

Hey,

Ordered myself a set of extension tubes few weeks back and I think I'm starting to find out ho to work with these things. Kinda hard because everything becomes manual when you plug the rings between the lens and the camera. Pretty cheap stuuf so I had a slight reflection artefact problem. I was able to get rid of that by spray painting the tubes black from inside tho. Annywho... here we go

D200+Micro-Nikkor 60mm (with ~60mm Extension)+SB-800

Bug4.jpg

Ant.jpg

ManySmall02.jpg

ManySmall.jpg

SmallFly.jpg

SmallFly2.jpg

Bug.jpg

Bug2.jpg

Bug3.jpg

woha - awesome. i was thinking about getting extension tubes as well. canon has some with AF still working but I wonder about how much you payed for your manual ones (because the AF ones are damn expensive :S ) - and how much light/shuttertime do they take?

the first shot is by far the best macro I've seen in a long time. what beast is this?

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

woha - awesome. i was thinking about getting extension tubes as well. canon has some with AF still working but I wonder about how much you payed for your manual ones (because the AF ones are damn expensive :S ) - and how much light/shuttertime do they take?

the first shot is by far the best macro I've seen in a long time. what beast is this?

I ordered mine from Hong Kong - 9 $ :D It's a bargain price so I decided to order these even if the chances were that they'd turn out worthless. Probably same kind of stuff available on ebay.

As I mentioned these tubes had a problem with the mount ring being flat metal which caused light to be reflected to a spot in the middle of the picture (you can see it in the third last picture). I used black spray paint on the inside part of the tubes. To me it seems that this fixed the problem. Yeah, you lose the electronic contact to the camera which means you need a lens with manual aperture ring and the viewing is at actual aperture all time -> view finder gets really dark at small apertures. The build quality of these tubes is pretty good.

I'm shooting handheld. f11/f16, ISO 100, 1/160-1/250. At f32 viewfinder is just too dark to see anything. The flash is mounted on camera pointing forward with the white bounce card pulled out to catch the light escaping upwards.

I think the first one is a male mosquito

Wow. Fantastic work, especially considering you did this hand-held. You might want to look into spending a few dollars on a focus rail for your tripod.

Thanks. To me using a tripod was too clumsy because I'm jumping around and chasing these things :)

I found it best to shoot on cloudy and relatively cold days. There are definitely less insects buzzing around but they stay put longer and the lighting is less harsh.