mikezilla

totally random texture thread

with the proper reference photos I'd guess that quite alot people here would manage to do it, but not in 30mins.

damn I need to go out and get some quality reference photos for myself :o

brickwall03a_peri.jpg

i made this a few weeks ago. Havnt done much texture work recently really :s. Been modelling and skinning more ;)

but i'm currently working on some mediteranean type textures for my insurgency map :) should have some neat stuff to show soon

I actually really like that one, Daan. One suggestion would be if you dont plan on tiling this vertically, add some dirt to the bottom, kinda yellowish brown. Would make it look really cool.

Nice work!

As for plants, if you wanna do it the next gen way you dont put them on the texture but model planes of plants and texture those.

If you wanna do it oldskool, I'd either take a photo source of some nice leaves as base and re-paint the colors and details etc or just paint it all from scratch. It's hard :S

Anyways I really like that texture, would like to see more varitations of it :)

Ouch, i'll just practise some more then. I will try to do it the oldschool way because i'm not really making these to put them into some map but to learn to make decent textures :).

I was gonna add some stuff at the bottom (already added a bit, but it's really subtle) and remove some artifacts (like in the upper right corner something is repeating a few times).

Thanks for the feedback Klein~~ :)

By the way i also took my own photos for this one

http://forum.counter-strike.nl/attachme ... 3629&stc=1

Still working on some other textures (including some variations for my white wall texture, /pets klein) but this is my new texture wip. I'm just trying to do as many different textures as possible and rails are one of them. I handpainted lots of stuff which was a good exercise. Comments, feedback and tips please :). Oh one last thing, the compression fucks up the colors, especially of the wood.

edit: currently uncartoonifying ( :P ) the textures

Pretty cool. Here are a few comments:

It looks too soft. Try getting more sharper 1px highlights and detail strokes in.

The wood planks should be dug into the gravel and not sit on top of it like the gravel was concrete or some other smooth surface. In other words, put some of the gravelstones onto the wood to make it look like the wood goes "into" the gravel... hope you know what i mean :P

The rails are too bright and the shading on it is too soft.

Colors: Overall it looks very blue. Try giving everything a more natural color.

Good work though :) But those are the things I would improve.

Back again. I'll improve those things and post a new version

http://forum.counter-strike.nl/attachme ... 3632&stc=1

Fixed:

-less purple (wood)

-stones on wood

-sharper shadows

-smaller metal things at the sides

-fiddled with the highlights of the rails

-noise at the beams

-sharpened some parts

-fiddled with colors

The only thing that's left to fix (thanks Peris) is that i'm gonna spread the stones a bit better to make sure it tiles well

The wood is still too purple. The middle part of the metal lacks detail and is too white. Maybe it is just the reflection which don't work out well.