mikezilla

totally random texture thread

I'll agree with klein on the wooden planks being of a bad color, but I think the first two need major work as well. The first one needs some more variation, maybe a little more depth through some stains/larger imperfections. The second one has no real 'texture' or 'feel' to it, it's more of flat, dirty mess.

Well thanks for the comments - this is my 2nd texture ever :D

Could you give me some tips on how to make the texture more suitable for a game? I thought the aim with the textures was to make them as realistic as possible...but it seems I was wrong :P

Best,

Centrum

Here's a dried mud texture.

samud21xn.jpg

Used photo as base and PS.

UPDATE: How about now? 8)

2 photorealistic! try to make it look more like.. game texture :D

I don't think that is "too photorealistic", would suit perfect for a FarCry map beside the fact that it is indeed a little bit too white.

I guess by too white you mean too bright? Here is another version. The white bits come from sand - its in essence dried sand with some loose bits on the top. It could be that my lcd display makes the texture look a bit different than you guys see it.

mud27om.jpg

That better? :)

Btw. champ, I see that you're working at Crytek - cool 8) I don't have FarCry with me at the moment, let alone the sandbox editor - It would be awesome if you could use the texture in some test level and send me screenshot of it - of course, only if you find the time. I'd love to see how it looks ingame. (I can send it to you in any fileformat - tga, ...)

Thanks a bunch :D

Ok, last try :P

mud25np.jpg

The contrast must seem a bit wired, I know, but here's a slice of the reference photo to show that its sorta like that in real life.

untitled14iw.jpg

It would be really cool if someone found the time to quickly throw it onto some brushes in a level editor (like Sandbox, Hammer or UnrealED) and send a screenie. Thanks! :-D

Best,

Centrum

The texture repeats pretty poorly on the first texture, but it looks really nice on the second one.

Centrum, the changes have been subtle but for the best I think. Its a nice texture as far as I can tell, but I can picture it repeating kinda badly due to the standout features on it.