mikezilla

totally random texture thread

Hi,

I want to get into making custom textures really badly :D.I always wonder how are they made ? I just want to know some ways of making them. How do you guys make them yourself ? Do you paint them in GIMP or Photoshop or do you go out and take pictures of things in real life which fit your wanted texture ? I would be very happy if someone could help me with that :)

I do both procedurally & photoshop. I use Substance Designer for non-destructive texture creation, haven't used it for my models at all. I don't use it as often as I use photoshop for everything. Download reference or take pictures of your own & start photosourcing and editing everything together. Cgtextures / Episcura are nice websites if you don't take pictures of your own. I'm not good at explaining how to make a texture that doesn't look like shit, it's just something you will pick up eventually through failure and watching lessons of people better than you doing their thing.

1 hour ago, Steppenwolf said:

I started learning Substance Designer few weeks ago after being super hesitant for a long time. I always thought it wouldn't feel like proper art making but now i'm loving it. This is one of my first attempts at a proper Substance, all procedural:

bjsP7OR.jpg

That looks phenomenal!

55 minutes ago, Minos said:

Looks great man! Dumb question from someone who never used substance: Did you create the height map in substance too or was that imported from a bake or something?

Everything created in Substance! You can bring in external height maps tho. It's super flexible. But then you limit yourself with the options you have for tweaking. The cool thing about SD is that once you have made the Substance you can get virtualy unlimited variations out of it by just playing with some parameters. Making these roof tiles took me maybe 6-8 hours but now i can make a way different roof tile material in just a couple seconds or minutes.

Nice one man, looks great.

SD is an incredible piece of software; you should all try it out and try to get proficient at it. I think most companies will be moving towards using it, it speeds up your workflow so much.

Yea it's becoming an industry standard and prerequisite for env artists quickly and if there was any doubt left about its usefulness then Uncharted 4 has evaporated that.

What surprised me most is how much you can still apply your "oldschool" art knowledge to it. I thought it would be much harder to get results out of it that don't look super procedural but when you know how to use colors and large, medium, small scale details, break up repetition etc. in tradionational workflows then you can just do the same in SD.

1 hour ago, Puddy said:

Can someone ELI5 to me what this means? :D 

It means the material is entirely scripted via a set of node based, parameter driven noises, filters and shapes instead of using traditional methods like using photo sources, hipoly sculpts etc. The advantage of this over the traditional methods is that i can make wild variations very easily later on by just playing with some sliders instead of having to go back to square A, rearranging stuff in zbrush, rebaking maps and so on.

This is what the graph looks like:

qXpUFW8.jpg

Looks complicated, right? But it actualy isn't because you start very simple and add layer upon layer of detail, not too different from what you would do in zbrush and photoshop.

In this case i started with a simple square shape down in the left corner, tweaked the side dimensions, added some beveling and then fed it into a tile generator with some randomized values for depth and position of each plank. In the next step i added some edge trimming like one would do in zbrush. Then i used some shapes and filters to create wood patterns, mixed, blended, copy pasted, tweaked etc. to make it look more convincing and natural. Then i added some smaller details like dirt and little holes.

After that i create some masks from some of the layers, details, aswell as cavity and curvature nodes. Those are used to feed into gradients and mixed and blended like in Photoshop to get a color texture. Last step then to create a roughness map. Again very similar to what oine would do in Photoshop.

Edited by Steppenwolf