mikezilla

totally random texture thread

3Dnj - fantastic subway floor textures. knew asap what it was. (if thats not what it's based on, then ohh well.)

anyhow, here are 4 textures i'm working on, and their use on modular environment pieces for a game called Radiant Escape.

XfXFJ.jpg

jAQc5.jpg

render from maya, roughly the lighting we want.

xygI5.jpg

ePYeM.jpg

2 screen caps from Unity, with point lights dropped in to show spec and normals.

James

* EDIT: these are still WIP, alot of the UVs are not quite lined up correctly, and subsequently the diffuse/normals sometimes look weird....

I think you could use more geometry. Also, try painting scratches into your specular. They will show off nicely :)

Here's a material I was working on a little bit ago w/ a new zbrush workflow

tiles01_preview.jpg

you've just blown an entire maps memory on a tile texture :P

Downscale that sucker or you'll look like you have no idea about texture memory limits ;) (keep the 2k and maybe mention it could be used for some next gen game)

The texture is really noisy and reads more like concrete than metal. Take some of that noise out and look at reference for metallic surfaces. All your detail is really fine, you need more broad detail. Most of those scratches won't be visible from far away, and the texture will look quite bland.

you've just blown an entire maps memory on a tile texture :P

Downscale that sucker or you'll look like you have no idea about texture memory limits ;) (keep the 2k and maybe mention it could be used for some next gen game)

I purposely made it larger for the sake of scaling it down.

Please tell me why this material looks awful. I tried going for the aged & cold mental asylum look, but I don't think it turned out well.

ViSv6.jpg

It doesn't look bad, but it is just very monotone atm, and a little noisy. Try painting in a little more detail, and getting a tiny bit of colour variation in there. Also, work on your specular a little more, don't just slightly alter the dif.

Wow, looking great Steppenwolf! You could try masking the ornament off and replacing the background. It's a different color enough that I'll bet you could just take a channel as a selection and touch it up.

I will redo the background following one of philk's tutorials when i find the time. The problem was that i worked on the background in wrong order. should have started with the normal map first instead of the diffuse. Shouldn't be too hard to combine a new background with the gold thingy because i generated the normal for this on a different layer with a clean background.