totally random texture thread

mikezilla

Thank you all very much! (I'm finally able to answer, mapcore's been down for me all day)

While that is goddamn awesome, I understand the technique you used to generate that normal map uses a video camera. Where would that leave you when you're generating the normals for an object or creature that isn't real? Would you use clay models, or an entirely separate technique?

Well this is where things become interesting; this is where the creative side comes through. As replicating reality tends to be mechanical, creating concept models allows for interesting ideas and associations. Then I usually think about objects that I can combine and use for the construction of my unreal object. When I've gathered all normal information it's all about photoshop manipulation which is a challenging and fun task. Clay modelling is an alternative but then you will get unrealistic texture structure.

If I understand correctly Teddybear, then that head model and texture maps are all done by a script?! If so, GIEF!

Well, besides from the photoshoot which is far from scripted (;)), yes, it is.

In fact, I thought maybe you guys would be interested in this:

Me and a friend of mine have been developing an algoritm (since the lunch break yesterday) which loads a heightmap and analyzes its volume and structure. From that analysis it is able to construct a perfectly symmetrical edge looped model with a polygonal budget specified by the user.

We were thinking about selling the idea to whomever was interested. Combined with the height map scan method you can easily instansiate real world objects as computer graphical models. Combined with the normal mapping technique you have a precise replica of the real world object.

Ah... yes, the results are quite alike. However, the methods differ alot. For instance, Debevec makes use of equipment worth great sums of money and big studios, my method makes use of a cheap digital camera and nothing more. Also, I'm quite excited about the new addition. It is a program that reads any displacement/height/bump/whatever-you-want-to-call-it map and calculates a well structured model of it.

This can of course be applied to more than photographically generated displacement maps. With this tool you can for example simply paint structures that are complex to model and then convert the texture information to a model with a highly tailor-made structure.

hmmm now i get his point, i dont think the texture is completely lost, i will try to get rid of those cloned spots. seems to be mainly located in the center and a tiny bit to the left. its still a wip so i can salvage it :) so dont call it a waste :banjo: