totally random texture thread

mikezilla

On 19.6.2016 at 9:06 PM, Steppenwolf said:

Watch the tutorials on the Allegorithmic youtube channel. After that the Gnomon tutorial by Rogelio Olguin is the best starting point if you want to get serious about it. https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/substance-designer

On 19.6.2016 at 11:17 PM, spence said:

Josh Lynch also has some good tutorials (a couple of which are free) https://gumroad.com/artofjoshlynch

I started of with the official ones from Allegorithmic, but they are a bit complicated. I found an easier one for  n00bs like me: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3rgNHnHdwBBrpG_WHOS-Xw

After some experimenting with substance designer and the help of some nice tutorials i've been able to generate a first simple texture of worn and old tiles (simply sticked to a tutorial so nothing could go wrong ^^ )

Creating custom textures for de_oakwood just became so much easier and faster, i realy love this tool! :D

870RgE6.jpg

On 6/19/2016 at 2:11 PM, PogoP said:

Those plants are surprisingly effective, nice work! I always found the Substance generated foliage stuff to never look quite as nice as hand-made foliage in Max. Would love to see more details on how you went about creating those.

Cheers dude. Plants are tricky because they have so much randomness in them at every level and you're right that substance stuff comes out looking a little more artificial than other things. Same bend in a leaf, same number of leaves on every plant etc are tricky things to avoid in designer without going crazy with multiple generators for plants per substance

I found this tutorial a big help getting me started. Then I just expanded on this and developed my stuff from there. Loads of variety helps, I've got 4.5(two share a leaf shape) separate plant shapes building up the foliage in my cliff. 

It works now as if it would be a regular node, so I assume everything is fine. Could you give further instructions on how to make it work? What kind of inputs do you need to shove into the node etc.

Also yeah it showed up under the directory you said it would. With the thumbnail and all.

Edited by Vorontsov
words

Great! So ther's two inputs to the node. In the upper one you plug your brick or stone pattern or whatever that you want to apply the edge wear to.

The other input is optional and there is a switch in the parameters to activate it. What it does it that it overrides the default noise pattern for the large scale wear. So this is useful to plug in whatever mask or noise you want to create for example non uniform edge wear details or some surface details.

On 29.5.2016 at 1:13 AM, Steppenwolf said:

I started learning Substance Designer few weeks ago after being super hesitant for a long time. I always thought it wouldn't feel like proper art making but now i'm loving it. This is one of my first attempts at a proper Substance, all procedural:

bjsP7OR.jpg

did you create multiple masks for every roof tile to get an individual shape or is it some generator?