Sign in to follow this  
Jetsetlemming

WoW is 500x better when you're dead.

Funny how that works.

wowscrnshot071608105656af9.jpg

wowscrnshot071608105726vd7.jpg

wowscrnshot071608110248is8.jpg

wowscrnshot071608110327cd4.jpg

I finished playing the trial today. By the end of those ten days the one and only thing that still had my interest was the game world, so I suicide so I could explore it unmolested by the too-frequent monsters, and wandered about five minutes before the game decided to bring me back to the graveyard nearest where I died.

I'm gonna try EVE in a couple days with a friend, I'm excited for that. I've always been a sucker for customizable free-form space games. Someone on my steam friends list recommended WW2 Online, too, I'm thinking about getting the trial.

God, that game looks bland nowadays. I kind of remembered it looking similar to Diablo 3 with regards to overall detail and shit, but it's actually terrible. :oops:

God, that game looks bland nowadays. I kind of remembered it looking similar to Diablo 3 with regards to overall detail and shit, but it's actually terrible. :oops:

It looks circa 2002 in technical detail, but I liked the environmental design, and exploring the game world and checking it out was the last thing that kept me playing. I'd shell out $15 for a month's subscription if they had a tourist class that could freely explore the world without worrying about levels or quests or guilds or monsters.

One reason I always preferred GuildWars over WoW was the way you could slap on the right set of skills and run around pretty much the entire world without ever doing more than a couple of the main storyline missions. There are actually few physical barriers between the different areas of the game. I always found running myself and taxi-ing other people about the world and checking out all the environments as much fun as any of the actual missions.

One reason I always preferred GuildWars over WoW was the way you could slap on the right set of skills and run around pretty much the entire world without ever doing more than a couple of the main storyline missions. There are actually few physical barriers between the different areas of the game. I always found running myself and taxi-ing other people about the world and checking out all the environments as much fun as any of the actual missions.

Sounds almost just like what I did, I owned all 3 of the games, and only ever actually beat the story of the first one, and spent the rest of the time running people between towns for cash and exploring the world (for the looks and for the title :P) But Ive gotten bored with the game since then, all my friends quit it aswell so now I'm waiting for the sequel to come out.

Graphically WoW was made to age well and work on dated computers, I think the cartoony style works well.

As the game itself: I've put stupid amounts of hours into it, but haven’t played it for a long time and have no intention to pick it up again. The way the game moved forwards from launch hasn’t really been in the direction I liked and hardcore players that don't play every minute of everyday (probably the smallest demographic) found themselves with nothing fun to do. And the community within the game turned to crap when the arenas happened and foulmouthed teenagers came out of the woodwork; calling each other scrubs like RNG and cookie cutter builds are remotely comparable to the level of play featured in arcade 2d fighters.

I found something to satisfy the game desire I had that made me try WoW- On a random recommendation I grabbed a copy of Gothic, and it is AWESOME. :D So many great things, and so buggy you'd think it was made by Troika. I've got a feeling this is gonna end up on my all-time favorites list when I've beat it.

There's so many innovations that I'm surprised haven't caught on, because they're ingenious. When you and a human fight, if one of you is killed with a melee weapon and don't die but instead are "knocked out", and they can be robbed blind to add insult to injury and/or finish them off and murdered (NPCs steal half your money, they tend to discourage murder but quite enjoy a brawl between two prisoners). Each and every person and monster is unique, and does not respawn. You kill a monster, it'll NEVER Come back, which is great. The AI's actually pretty impressive. Weaker monsters hang back away from you just outside melee range, attacking if you turn your back to them or charge forward, stronger monsters gang up on your and charge, if you jump on a cliff or rock or something they can't run up if there's an alternate path nearby they'll find it, if the path goes halfway around the world they won't, if you leave them alone yapping around your heels they'll run out of gas and retreat, stupid beats are appropriately stupid and will follow you off cliffs if you piss them off then run away (which is a fantastically fun way to kill things, too bad it doesn't give XP)...

So many great things packed into one game. The only real complaints I have are the way sidestepping works and the way movement and fighting is organized makes it feel like a console game (It was designed to be possible to be played keyboard only) so you can't aim with the bow, and instead rely on autoaim, and you control which way you swing melee weapons by holding use and pressing a movement direction instead of waving the mouse. I've gotten used to it, so it's pretty manageable. :-D