Diablo 3

JohnC

Shallow means lacking possibility, outcomes or experimentation which the skill system is not. It’s lacking in long-term punishment for making a bad decision sixty hours previously. Most characters in Diablo 2 were running the same build because of this. If you want to give your character the wrong stats I guess you could use gems? There are item sets. Story gets weaker with each act.

It seems to me having an option to respec in town would have solved this issue without dumbing down the previous system any.

Shallow means lacking possibility, outcomes or experimentation which the skill system is not. It’s lacking in long-term punishment for making a bad decision sixty hours previously. Most characters in Diablo 2 were running the same build because of this. If you want to give your character the wrong stats I guess you could use gems? There are item sets. Story gets weaker with each act.

It seems to me having an option to respec in town would have solved this issue without dumbing down the previous system any.

Agreed. At least I wish they provided the option of something similar to the previous system.

Been playing monk through normal, nightmare and now act 3 hell. The game def becomes better and better the higher the difficulty.

The only problem is that monk stands out to be such a weak character. You cant do tanking and taking damage like a barb, and you def cant do range, so you are stuck with going in doing some strikes and move way out again. And with all the fucked up combos the elites got its almost impossible.

To move on, my gear has to be much better and that means one thing. Grindfest. Which im not very keen on

I do agree that there is little incentive to make multiple of the same class anymore since your first version of that character can always swap skills and gear around to be whatever you want. It's also possible they went too far in this regard. Originally you could only respec at obelisk things (in town and at the start of dungeons) and runes had to be found.

Also, now I'm on Inferno, I think you’re pretty much locked into something like this anyway.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/m ... TUX!ZYcYbc

Going close is suicide, if only because of the crap everywhere fighting elites, so Deadly Reach is essential even though all its runes are crap. Seven Sided Strike, Breath of Heaven (with fear), Blinding Flash and Serenity are all basically "oh shit" buttons you will have to pop constantly against anything but normal enemies. Mantra of Healing is terrible but the 20% resistance boost is better than any other Mantra combination. Passives seem like a no-brainer too, especially One With Everything.

I can see ways of changing this, for instance using Dashing Strike to get around easily (I miss being able to zoom out of packs or into health orbs) or swapping out Breath of Heaven for Lashing Tail Kick for better CC but no heal. But eitherway your Inferno character cannot piss about. You're not going to pull some wacky Combination Strike based build and expect to last 2 steps towards New Tristram.

I think all they really need to do to Inferno, though bare in mind I am only at Act 2, is fix the elite packs. If they want to make a gear hurdle for each act to pad the game out then that's okay, but the elite packs in their relative content are insane.

I can beat every boss on Inferno Act 1 solo reasonably easy now. I can also take down most elite packs solo, but sometimes you just meet the most stupid stuff. For instance going through the Cathedral, where the Skeleton King is a non-threat, I encountered this lovely room:

Unburied champion: horde, knockback, frozen, molten

Skeleton rares: Vortex, molten, avenger, arcane

The whole screen is fire, lasers and ice. Knockback, vortex and frozen mean I don't even get to control my character half the time. After a death I managed to pull one of the champion minions away and they followed without the skeletons, but everything has so much health I got bored and left. If Blizzard's algorithm made sure you didn't encounter multiple mods that remove control and multiple mods that force you to move there wouldn't be a problem. As it stands I don't see how someone geared for this level of content could cope with this.

Also wtf no armor sets? Sets were the main highlight of loot drops from Diablo 2! :(

You must be playing on normal mode. There are item sets. Just go check the AH if you're in disbelief.

Yea someone said they have sets, and I was on normal. I just beat normal last night :). But honestly why should I have to play past normal to start getting set items?

I would happily support the decision to restrict item sets to higher level difficulties if the game wasn't difficulty locked. Probably my only real complaint about the game aside from how light act 3 and 4 were compared to the first two. I'm not too thrilled about being forced through a faceroll version of the game to get to the "real" Diablo experience.