The first clip they released was a dark dungeon where cultists exploded into red mist and giants ripped barbarians in half and spat them across the room. This is neither twee or like WoW. The entire case otherwise comes from one selective screenshot where a rainbow was refracted in a waterfall, and while this is too nice for a world like Diablo, you still need some contrast and don't want to be wading through black and red all game.

The entire case otherwise comes from one selective screenshot where a rainbow was refracted in a waterfall, and while this is too nice for a world like Diablo, you still need some contrast and don't want to be wading through black and red all game.

Not really, the rainbow exacerbated the issue for some but people were complaining on almost every aspect of the new art direction. In my view, it's just too different a style from the other games, in a bad way. D3 looks more like Torchlight than it does it's predecessors.

There's also a lot more than 'black and red' in both Diablo games. The enemies in both games were extremely colorful and the spells and missiles in D2 were even more so. Play a game of D2 on BNet and see how colorful it gets when 4+ of you start in with your skills. Color isn't the problem for me, it's the art style.

this whole discussion is pathetic

i 100% guarantee that if blizzard had made diablo 3 an isometric game built in the same style as d1+2, people would be complaining that blizzard can't make bold changes with art direction and that they are a 1 trick pony, or that the grimdark theme is so 1990's, why don't blizzard get out of the past? etc etc etc ad infinitum.

people will complain about anything and personally i am sick of all the shit surrounding d3 - it looks like a great game, i love the art style, i love the use of colour (people make judgments and you don't even know if there's a shift of colour and theme across the game, the zones, etc, speculation based on self-entitlement and a desire to complain about everything).

i'll be buying and enjoying the shit out of this regardless

The people who are so invested in a game series that they go on the internet to complain about the colour palette of the latest iteration are precisely the ones who pick up the title in stores on day one (if only to complain some more afterwards).

i 100% guarantee that if blizzard had made diablo 3 an isometric game built in the same style as d1+2, people would be complaining that blizzard can't make bold changes with art direction and that they are a 1 trick pony, or that the grimdark theme is so 1990's, why don't blizzard get out of the past? etc etc etc ad infinitum.

seems more like they're a 1 trick pony with the current art direction, as it's the same as the world of warcraft one...

The people who are so invested in a game series that they go on the internet to complain about the colour palette of the latest iteration are precisely the ones who pick up the title in stores on day one (if only to complain some more afterwards).

But wait, there will be 2x that amount who are not into the game series and pick it up day one because they are new to the series.

But wait, there will be 2x that amount who are not into the game series and pick it up day one because they are new to the series.

Either way, Blizzard wins. :derp:

just for shits and giggles, the first image in google for each of the games.

starcraft2:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content ... aft-ii.jpg

world of warcraft:

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 80x435.jpg

diablo 3:

http://www.diablo3demo.com/diablo3screen6.jpg

damn guys, did i just accidentally link to the same image 3 times, cause i really can't tell the difference!

it's almost like i don't have any artistic eye whatsoever and confuse opinion with fact!

I hate to stir the flames of the Diablo 3 hate, because personally I think it looks pretty ace and a damn sight better than those screenshots of the "old" version of the game, but I do agree it has similarities to WoW. By no means a visual clone as they are easy to tell apart, plus I really like the look they're going for, but I do see why people make the comparison.

On that note while doing a quick google image search of Diablo 3 screens just to check my opinion before posting, I found this screenshot strangely reminiscent of the one Dux just posted...

http://windows7themes.net/wp-content/ga ... I_ss19.jpg

Clearly uses the same stair asset a the WoW screenshot you just posted with a bit more grime on the texture :) Not trying to condemn such a tactic by the way as it happens all the time in the industry and makes a lotta sense, just thought it kinda funny!