Sign in to follow this  
zaphod

Zero Gear - an indie multiplayer kart racing game

Can I use my xbox controller for this game? I find the PC controls pretty hard to use ;P

Great game though, I love the actual racing maps because the controls work better for them IMO

yea, although currently you have to go into the settings menu and bind them manually. The controls are also still binary (off or on) for turning even with the controller - so you might get a better feel assigning them to the dpad for now. One of the overwhelming community requests is for analog and better controller support ( just plug in and play) so we are hoping to look at getting those in there in the somewhat near future.

Slight bump of the thread here, hope that's ok. I played this game once during the beta and now I just played the demo again. Neither of the times did I like it at all :/ There is something about the controls which makes it feel like you don't really have any contact with the surface at all, your vehicle just seems to be floating along the ground. There did not really appear to be much to the game either; granted I have probably seen half of the features, but what I have seen so far did not seem of much. And worst, driving around was not in any way pleasing and that is kinda concern to me in a racing game.

Now however, I did like an ironic touch such as the Indie-ness factor. And you shouldn't mind my comments anyway, as the game it reminded me the most of is some of the old Mario Kart games, which I also absolutely saw no fun in. Many people however did :) Also, I see that you are having some quite nice sales on Steam! It has slowed down a bit now, but still you have for weeks been outselling some quite high profile games, I am very impressed by this!

I was wondering, what is your company strategy onwards? I can imagine that the revenue from your iPhone games has almost been able to cover all expenses related to the ZG development thereby leaving you in a favorable position with very little debt (or none) to payoff? But I doubt the revenue of ZG is enough to cover the development cost of your next game?

So will you keep on adding features to Zero Gear and hoping that the sales will continue to be higher than the cost of the continued development? Or just give it basic life support and go develop a sequel, or another game, and then hope that the game has a long enough tail to provide you with liquidity until the release of the sequel? Or try and both expand ZG while developing another game and thereby stretching your already limited developer resources?

You got lots of challenges ahead of you, but you to have proven to have the talent and dedication to take them on. Good luck :)

We have a few more months at least of full-time ZG development to address issues and hopefully grow the player base more. We will have to make a judgement call after that point as to where it is best to go from there.