Sign in to follow this  
zaphod

Zero Gear - an indie multiplayer kart racing game

Man I remember when I saw this room the first time in cs_estate, I was wondering what acid trip the creator must have been on while making that....today, it all makes perfect sense.

need some help / advice:

We will start closed beta testing very soon. We need to be able to support up to 16 players with a very low ping to the SF / Bay Area. A windows server is preferable, and the machine specs can be pretty mediocre as long as the connection is fast. Obviously we need to be able to remote into the machine in order to set up our game server. We would also potentially like to use the server for SVN.

Price: we are super cheap ramen-eating indie game devs, so we really don't have a lot to spend. We are hoping we can find something suitable under or around 100 bucks a month if possible. I have no experience renting servers so I have no idea if this sound like something reasonable. I would appreciate anyone's advice or guidance as well.

there are some free svn-hosts you could use. You can get a root server much cheaper than 100 bucks a month, i'd seen some good offers at 30 bucks.

CVSDude is who we use for our Ham and Jam SVN. They gave us a package for free in return for some small images on our site, when we needed a bigger package we paid the price they advertised and they virtually upgraded us to the next one up.

I guess SVN is not the biggest issue we will be using it for. It is mostly to host the game servers. I think as far as power, it would be ok to be hosted on one of those game servers which am sure host a bunch of game servers on the same machine, the only issue is that we will need complete access to the box in order to admin/update/run the server software, which I could see being an issue with the people that use shared hosting for common game servers.

*edit* going to email gameservers.com to see what is possible, the ping to the san jose servers is pretty incredible.

Update: We looked into GoGrid tonight. It seems really promising. At least for short term testing.

They host virtual servers which we can bring up and shut down at any time. It will be a lot cheaper if we don't need the server running 24/7 (we won't until a full beta is underway). It seems really fast and has really good ping times to both our locations. It is located in SF and my partner gets a ping of TWELVE to the server. My ping is a whopping 45 from San Diego.