D3ads

What have you purchased recently?

59 minutes ago, blackdog said:

What you mean? Apple is the only phone maker that has been supporting very old phones (my 5s still getting updates). Androids are good for three years, and you are likely to get updates only if buying a flagship (my gf’s Samsung A3 never got any update to a new Android).

Also it seems Apple is the only company somehow being serious about protecting your data.

I can’t say I like iOS, at least I find it very boring, there are many quirks they do to keep you in their ecosystem I hate, but it feels that if you don’t get a Pixel or 1+ you are gonna get fucked over.

I do not mean to cause a apple vs samsung argument, we're better than that. Use whatever you want bro, you can use Nokia for all I care, lmao.
But, Apple did admit to slown down older phones when new iPhone models come out: https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-battery-slow-down/

Throughout the years, I've owned 4 iPhones and 2 Galaxy phones. I remenber I switched to galaxy because I was getting frustrated that all my iPhones were getting slow af after about a year or so. My Samsung s5 lasted for nearly 5 years, perfectly too so the notion that only Apple supports older phones is not true either. (I have a S8+ now, i love that the battery lasts for about 2 days)

12 hours ago, [HP] said:

I do not mean to cause a apple vs samsung argument, we're better than that. Use whatever you want bro, you can use Nokia for all I care, lmao.
But, Apple did admit to slown down older phones when new iPhone models come out: https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-battery-slow-down/

Throughout the years, I've owned 4 iPhones and 2 Galaxy phones. I remenber I switched to galaxy because I was getting frustrated that all my iPhones were getting slow af after about a year or so. My Samsung s5 lasted for nearly 5 years, perfectly too so the notion that only Apple supports older phones is not true either. (I have a S8+ now, i love that the battery lasts for about 2 days)

For my lightweight use, my iPhone 7+ lasts 2 days as well. I really like the galaxy lineup from S8 onwards, Samsung got their shit together in terms of design since then, but like I said, they are slow to update to newer releases, and they only seem to do it on flagship (same LG or any other Android except for the niche one that want to leverage the geek crowd like 1+).

From what I’ve seen people saying, Androids get slower much faster than iPhones, not sure why but even the Pixel was a victim… that’s why phone Android makers boast ridiculous amount of ram, cmon, hows a phone in need than more ram than a gaming PC? 😬 

anyway what you reported is somewhat arguable/debatable: they say it’s for battery life, and to be fair my iPhone 5s still lasts a day of normal use, and now that I use it as an iPod (airplane mode, only WiFi and Bluetooth active while at work to stream to my headphones) it lasts several days.

anyway not saying iPhone is better, I have considered switching to Android couple times already, just overall iPhone seems quicker to have up and running. There’s never gonna be a perfect phone

7 hours ago, Pericolos0 said:

You'd probably like this: https://pi-hole.net/

I have a raspberry pi sitting next to my router, dilligently blocking all ads and tracking before they can even reach my pc or phone, its awesome! Makes browing fster too because the ads don't even get to load

also, to stay in the spirit of the thread: I bought a house!

62447059_10156966020775935_5210647997020372992_o.jpg

Congrats! 🎉 we found the place where to do the next Mapcore meet-up lol

Ive heard about the Pi-hole before, really interesting project… what’s the situation with all those websites that force ads on you to work? Many of them pop up a message to enable ads… does this system bypass the problem and leave them accessible? (Does Pi-hole trick them into think the ad is being delivered?). I use Brave Broweser for reducing the ad footprint but I incur in this kind of problems. It also makes it hard to play a video on anything but YouTube 😒

Edited by blackdog

On 7/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, FMPONE said:

Finally upgraded my phone after many many years to the iPhone XR. It’s the same old shit but it’s sooooo smooth! Faceid feels really futuristic too. Enjoying it so far !

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/neaz3d/airpods-are-a-tragedy  :fist::(:fist: 

I stepped in a GameStop for the first time in years, and finally got around to buying a switch:

20190707_2234002.jpg.9f9e6d0bf5024212f5b02e405c47fdfc.jpg

I picked up Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Maker 2... and we'll see if I can still resist picking up Smash for much longer!

Buying a new Nintendo console at the store brought back nice memories... felt like I was a kid again 😊

The Switch is hand down one of the best consoles I've ever owned! Those 3 games will keep you busy for weeks, if not months too! How you finding Mario Maker? I wanna pick it up, but I feel it's a little too close to what I already do for a living? ahah

2 hours ago, Minos said:

Yeah; Apple is capitalism at its best and worst. They make fantastic, incredible products that have changed the world. The products also tend to be composed of rare earth minerals from crazy Chinese mines assembled in factories where, despite meager efforts to make life livable for the workers, people still run at fifth floor windows as if they’re on fire and giant vertical heights are like a cold tub of water; to such an extent that they had to install nets below the buildings.

It’s not easy to use this technology and be oblivious to the fact that it’s absolutely amazing and insane and of course can only exist through magnificent unseen cruelty. But that’s not an Apple thing, that’s a “life in the modern world” thing. When it all crumbles we can’t be too upset, this wasn’t ever going to be a stable foundation. Might as well rock the Air Pods while life is good, the writing is on the wall.

I'm impressed with wireless charging... the technology just gets more and more magical.

5 minutes ago, [HP] said:

The Switch is hand down one of the best consoles I've ever owned! Those 3 games will keep you busy for weeks, if not months too! How you finding Mario Maker? I wanna pick it up, but I feel it's a little too close to what I already do for a living? ahah

One of thing I love about it is bringing it with me in parks and whatnot, working on Mario maps and getting a tan at the same time 😎 Being able to do that anywhere is sweet!

The "too close to what we already do for a living" part is exactly why I picked it up... It's like having a blast playing a game, but getting extra training at the same time!

Besides, who is this game made for if not for us? 😉

Edited by MikeGon

13 minutes ago, MikeGon said:

Besides, who is this game made for if not for us? 😉

Good point, lol. Yeah, I'll pick it up once I'm done with CTR. (Loving the Adventure mode in that game, as random as it sounds)

11 minutes ago, [HP] said:

Good point, lol. Yeah, I'll pick it up once I'm done with CTR. (Loving the Adventure mode in that game, as random as it sounds)

Ohhh that's another good one! I have great memories of playing this when I was a smaller-sized human, on the PolyStation One

61kI8Z9i30L._AC_.jpg.53f2a7c659b349aae67ac77e12ad5adc.jpg

Edited by MikeGon

47 minutes ago, [HP] said:

the level at 7 minutes rofl

The guy in that video is hilarious XD ^^^^^

Well I guess my purchase was adding 5 dollars to my steam wallet to be able to put my map on public. DEDICATION. And I cant spend it for 7  fucking days. And my account that has hundreds spent on it is unrecoverable because I need a new phone. I should be out of the novas on this acc  soon though. It is becoming my main...

I gotta turn to you guys for help on my next purchase. I am buying an i7 8700k. Do any of you guys have motherboard recommendations or m.2 ssd recommendations? Also, is 32 gb ram worth it or is 16 fine?

if you want to save money stick to 16gb instead of 32gb. Very likely you won't notice any difference and you can always upgrade later on. I did this and still haven't found the need to upgrade, and I do tons of high end rendering work. Consider getting i5 instead of i7 too if you want to save money there. For most daily use and games, you also likely won't notice any difference.