KIIIA

The random model thread!

5,496 posts in this topic

Took a break from solid modeling and did some surface modeling for fun :)

Done in Solidworks, so gimme a break :P  I know there is a curvature/tangency error on the sill below the door; it has been fixed, just not in this render.

~8hrs of work on this.

Ideas on the design are welcome!

rendah8_rs.jpg

rendah3_rs.jpg

Vorontsov, K and Beannie like this

On 1/14/2017 at 4:26 AM, Vorontsov said:

Smoothing groups are old stuff! Get on editing the vertex normals of your models :)

On 1/14/2017 at 2:39 PM, grapen said:

I finally defeated VRAD. Slightly cheaper than our favourite Source tree, here for scale.

did you edit vertex normals for that? Coincidentally read about them the other day for a maxscript and I had no idea how essential they are TreeMakerScript_plus_NormalThiefScript.g

catfood and Sigma like this

1 hour ago, kinggambit said:

did you edit vertex normals for that? Coincidentally read about them the other day for a maxscript and I had no idea how essential they are TreeMakerScript_plus_NormalThiefScript.g

Yep. Without edited normals it looks pretty much like that gif. You can enable "ignore surface normals" on the prop in hammer, but that makes it look flat instead.

I understand what  a vertex normal is (and how to edit it), but can you describe a use case where it is a better option than applying smoothing groups on a complex object? Foliage it works well for clearly as it smooths shading across the various planes making up the foliage... any other use cases where it would be advantageous though?

Finally I managed to get the HP for this thing done after having it dusting on my desktop for several months

madsen render thing.jpg