DE_Portugal

UNREA1

Alright guys, sorry for the long wait, most of you probably don't even remember who I am anymore. But I feel obligated to let you know that I finally released DE_Portugal.

Workshop link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=842297085

067BB827A516297BB6D1ED6E2479A774C7AABADE20170114185634_1.jpg20170114185839_1.jpgde_portugal_rc1.jpg

Yeah, it took me like a year and 4 months, mostly because life got in the way (multiple times) and I've lost motivation. Lots of f-ed up sh*t happened. However I have great friends who pushed me to the finish line, and I finally decided to get back to it and finishing. I can't say I'm proud of this map, but I'm definetely proud I was able to release it.

Workshop link:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=842297085

Thanks to everyone who gave their contribution to this project, I'm sorry if I disapoint you. Probably won't be touching this for atleast 1-2 weeks. I need to take a rest.

Edited by UNREA1
Added image

1 hour ago, will2k said:

Who are you???? :D

Great work buddy.

I would suggest to add 3-4 more screenshots to this thread to better showcase and promote the map :)

Thanks man! <3 There ya go

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Congrats on the release! Would have liked some more shots ;)

There. <3

52 minutes ago, Beannie said:

Congratulations on releasing , This looks amazing and fun , gonna have to give it a try

also there seems to be a radar bug on your workshop , the CT side the radar is working well , while on the T side there is no radar whatsoever

Thanks man!

Yeah I already took notice of this and will be fixing soon. That's because I made a layered radar, but for some reason the upper and mid height parts work, the lower one doesn't. Should be an easy fix anyway when I look into it. :P

Alright I might need some help right now.

The original version like @Beannie mentioned it had a problem which was causing the lower radar not loading.

The .txt file looked something like this:

Spoiler

// HLTV overview description file for de_portugal_rc1.bsp

"de_portugal_dev013"
{
    "material"    "overviews/de_portugal_rc1"    // texture file
    "pos_x"        "-2787"    // upper left world coordinate
    "pos_y"        "3090"
    "scale"        "5.50" 

"verticalsections"
    {
        "upper" // i.e. de_portugal_rc1_upper_radar.dds
        {
            "AltitudeMax" "10000"
            "AltitudeMin" "1408"
        }
        "default" // use the primary radar image
        {
            "AltitudeMax" "1408"
            "AltitudeMin" "1152"
        }
        "lower" // i.e. de_portugal_rc1_lower_radar.dds
        {
            "AltitudeMax" "1152"
            "AltitudeMin" "-10000"
        }
    }    
    // loading screen icons and positions
    "CTSpawn_x"    "0.50"
    "CTSpawn_y"    "0.14"
    "TSpawn_x"    "0.50"
    "TSpawn_y"    "0.94"

"bombA_x"    "0.31"
    "bombA_y"    "0.23"
    "bombB_x"    "0.66"
    "bombB_y"    "0.32"

}

So all I did was switching the _dev013 to _rc1 to match the current map name. (Even tho I don't think that first line is used for anything really)

I went on to update the map on the Workshop_publish tool, and asked a friend, who had the same bug to test it out. Surprise, surprise, its even worse and aparently now is acting totally random.

So, I'm extremly pissed now.

Update as I was posting: It seems that the Workshop does not look for the upper and lower files. So VALVe is actually to blame here. I thought this layered radar thing was gonna become a thing, but the Workshop doesn't even support it aparently. :( It's the only reason I can see that this is happening...

BTW I came to this conclusion after running like 5 different updates on the dev build in the Workshop, which has 15,000 subscribers... So sorry guys! :|

Another fun fact:
I cleaned my radar file to look like this:

Spoiler

// HLTV overview description file for de_portugal_rc1.bsp

"de_portugal_rc1"
{
    "material"    "overviews/de_portugal_rc1"    // texture file
    "pos_x"        "-2787"    // upper left world coordinate
    "pos_y"        "3090"
    "scale"        "5.50" 

// loading screen icons and positions
    "CTSpawn_x"    "0.50"
    "CTSpawn_y"    "0.14"
    "TSpawn_x"    "0.50"
    "TSpawn_y"    "0.94"

"bombA_x"    "0.31"
    "bombA_y"    "0.23"
    "bombB_x"    "0.66"
    "bombB_y"    "0.32"

}

And guess what, my game still knows the exact height coordinates to switch between lower,normal and upper layers!! This is absurd. Where is this information stored? I even restarted my game... :C

New update: managed to fix the bug in the _dev build, gonna roll it out on the main one... I'm tired.

Solution: 

Don't ever use layered radars unless you work for VALVe and you're making de_nuke.

EDIT:
So I managed fixed that... The way I did it was I removed the upper and lower layers. Switched the radar names to new ones (just in case) and it worked on my friends PC, so now I'll be rocking my sick layered radar, while you subscriber plebs will be playing with a flat boring default one.

Sometimes I wish someone at VALVe would listen to me whine about all the quality of life updates they could do to the Workshop. It's 2017 and each time you update half your maps description is gone. Layered radars are not supported by the Workshop even though they work if you have the files. Self-promoting people on my maps page... Gambling websites non-stop... I thought penis ASCCI copypasta was bad enough.. Do they not see this? :(

AAAAAAAAH!111

Edited by UNREA1
final edit

Use Vide, Pakrat or a software like that to add your radar files in your map (all of them). You'll probably just have to edit the paths to make sure it's a relative path (from the csgo/ folder).

About the people self-promoting or posting gambling websites : just block them. I've been doing that for ages (i go to their steam profile, block communication with them and then delete their comment), and i'm receiving less and less stuff like that.

Or at least, just delete them. It will only last 1 week (during which you'll have a huge amount of comments like that).

I definately remember you and this map when you first posted it. It looked already very promising back then :)

Congratz on the release!

The layout seems really fun and overall it looks nice :)

Even if you're not gonna touch it in the coming weeks, here is some feedback.

Tone down the saturation of all the coloured plaster in your map. Softer colours work better.

I would also get rid of some of the colour variations regarding the plaster, or at least group them together more in different areas of the map (but I'd go with lesser colours personally). In the picture below, you have 4 different colours going on (blue, yellow, red and green).

067BB827A516297BB6D1ED6E2479A774C7AABADE

Here is a comparison picture with toned down saturation on the coloured plaster. Note that I also toned down the red on the Vespa.

YtoLGUo.jpg

This looks very nice. Congrats on the release!

When you take a look at the map in a week or two to address some small things, I think a few tweaks to the lighting/some textures might make it look better, but Squad probably hit it on the head already.

There is an (unintended?) cartoonish effect from the current bright colors that is similar to de_pharoah's early builds, which were eventually addressed and made for a much more visually appealing map.

9 hours ago, Squad said:

I definately remember you and this map when you first posted it. It looked already very promising back then :)

Congratz on the release!

The layout seems really fun and overall it looks nice :)

Even if you're not gonna touch it in the coming weeks, here is some feedback.

Tone down the saturation of all the coloured plaster in your map. Softer colours work better.

I would also get rid of some of the colour variations regarding the plaster, or at least group them together more in different areas of the map (but I'd go with lesser colours personally). In the picture below, you have 4 different colours going on (blue, yellow, red and green).

Here is a comparison picture with toned down saturation on the coloured plaster. Note that I also toned down the red on the Vespa.

Indeed, the colors could be a little less saturated. Could a similar effect be achievable using Color Correction? I never got to play around with it, not even sure if CS:GO supports it. It would just save me time of going through all the textures again, and perhaps make the map art look more consistent.

And since we're talking about colors, I should add that in the begining I actually studied this before starting and ran some tests using Adobe Color to figure which ones would really complement each other. :P I knew I wanted to use those 4 colors (most used in these typical houses), and I actually put a lot of effort in the prep fase to get everything right. xD

I'll look into this. Thanks for the comment!

3 hours ago, wylde said:

This looks very nice. Congrats on the release!

When you take a look at the map in a week or two to address some small things, I think a few tweaks to the lighting/some textures might make it look better, but Squad probably hit it on the head already.

There is an (unintended?) cartoonish effect from the current bright colors that is similar to de_pharoah's early builds, which were eventually addressed and made for a much more visually appealing map.

Already had a very nice chat with @leplubodeslapin, who recomended me a guide to perfect the maps lighting, and I'll definetely be improving it in the final version eventually!

About the textures, yeaaah.. xD I'm definetely not a 2D artist. I do try my best though to do something with what I've got! I hate the contrast between the custom textures and the dirtier ones - specially in the winery area (path to A). I'll be looking to fix this issue as well.

Thanks! <3