[CSGO][WIP] Farm II

Dosentti

Farm II

I wanted to create this own thread for Farm II because Farm thread had a bit confusing starting post because it was about farm(1) and not Farm 2.

Farm 2 is designed to be a competitive csgo map.

Layout

Layout was "inherited" from farm1's layout with a lot of adjustments. Farm1's too compact and narrow spaced areas were expanded a bit and scale of buildings was changed to more realistic.

The layout was tested many times here on Mapcore playtest during last winter.

Spoiler

WladgB7.jpg

References 

As a reference I visited my uncles' farm and my aunt's old farm. On those excursions I photographed mostly textures but also some buildings and details.

Still most of the references I have taken from the internet because I have taken too few pictures and I have gotten ideas that wouldn't have been possible to photograph myself.

Spoiler

F8N9QO6.jpg

Models & Textures

The ultimate goal with this project was originally to create all the textures and models myself (to learn stuff). I managed to get to do a piece of this project as a school project. So I worked 350 hours during the summer and got few areas done and learned a lot new stuff. As the project went further I abandoned idea to create everything myself and started using default textures.

Current version

During past week I had some time to spent again on the map and I made some changes based on playtest feedback. 

Here's link to imgur album.

Feedback

If you have anything to say about the map, say it. My biggest struggle with the map has been the lack of feedback so I'm really looking forward to have feedback no matter if it's good or bad.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me by giving feedback already!

People have given me feedback that they cannot come back to game if they go to desktop while playing my map.

First time I heard this I was like "yea, sure.." because I mixed up "shift-tab" (steam overlay) and "alt-tab". So today I located the problem and fixed it.

I thought it would have been with my custom content but it turned out to be default texture blend_dirtleaves_forestfloor_wdetail. This is worldvertextransition texture that uses "%detailtype" parameter. The problem with this detailtype was that it didn't load those "details" it was suppose to. It would probably look better if I got it to work but I read about Detailtype from VDC and I gotta say, I don't feel very comfortable editing those files :D Also, if I got it to work it could be too much for older GPUs because map doesn't have so well optimized fps due to so much open areas.

Fixed version is not on workshop yet, because I will create more details, fixes and stuff to map before publishing it.

Playtests come with very little feedback since the demo system is broken so I have to "go wild" and hope someone answers in here.

1. The fallen fence in T-spawn: Do you think the clipping is good or should I clip change the clipping or make it non-solid?
  2. The layout as a whole: Is it too hectic or compact or fast-paced? Is there enough places to relax and regroup? Are bottlenecks working properly?
  3. Breakable wooden window on B and B corners: Is there still too much corners on B to check? Should I remove the window or modify it?
  4. Middle area layout: This area is suppose to be hectic because I don't want mid that is too easy to control because otherwise it gives too big advantage to team holding it. Do you think it's anything like it should? After one playtest someone said it's too small. Is this general opinion?
  5. Something else: Is there something else that feels odd? details that should be removed? buildings that look bad? something to be added? 

This poll of mine didn't quite get as much answers as I was hoping.

But thanks to Bevielis I realized that I have a big problem with this map:

My detailing skills aren't good enough to polish mediocre layout and my current layout isn't good enough to polish my (below) mediocre detailing.

So I guess I'm going what he suggested (finish the map asap and start new) after this update but I wanted to test these layout fixes that I made.

Spoiler

Zpr9Zli.jpg

A lot of these changes need polishing and I had to delete some details that I had already done. They will be back if this new layout is better than the old one. 

Here's imgur album with some reasoning about the changes. This version will be tested on mapcore playtest. Hopefully the demo system is in play already :)

• 2 months later...