Sprony

Quake Champions

206 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, blackdog said:

I'm not feeling this, watched a gameplay with some rounds and the voices are incredibly annoying.

I know all the hopping around is legacy, but I find it a bit weird that something that came out of a bug is implemented on purpose. I mean if the reason is to move faster why don't just make player speed faster?

9c9094a3847e822dc260367d0b5829c1096d3a1c

Evert and BJA like this

18 minutes ago, SotaPoika said:

It seems a new closed-beta wave starts for this weekend?

Yep I just got a key :)

Thanks for the sarcasm guys. Since I mean what I say, can you explain the flaw in my reasoning?

I know experienced players like to differentiate themselves from newbs, but I think that "mastery" of movement can be offered in different ways. See UT with wall jumps and the likes.

bunnyhopping was a thing in CS as well, is not like it's still a thing 15 years later.

ps: the old school rocket launcher looks very out of place to me among weapons stylised the way they are

Edited by blackdog

32 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I know experienced players like to differentiate themselves from newbs, but I think that "mastery" of movement can be offered in different ways. See UT with wall jumps and the likes.

Strafe jumping in Quake is kind of like recoil control in CS:GO. It's a huge part of the game, without it the gameplay would be boring and much too predictable. To put it simply, your top speed is determined by your strafing skills. In itself it's a pretty neat mechanic, there is a very clear gradient of skills between beginners, average and top players. For many players, strafe jumping is the reason they still play Quake to this day. It's so hard to grasp it can take YEARS to perfect.

But I tend to agree. It looks stupid, sounds stupid, and is also kind of nausea inducing. Don't get me wrong, I love the mechanic, but it's really sad to see the arena FPS genre still stuck in 2000 (if I'm being generous).

I don't like the UT style personally, if you have to double tap to do anything then it's shit. Quake is life.

Edited by Klems
blackdog, Evert, Minos and 2 others like this

8 hours ago, blackdog said:

Thanks for the sarcasm guys. Since I mean what I say, can you explain the flaw in my reasoning?

bunnyhopping was a thing in CS as well, is not like it's still a thing 15 years later.

The flaw in your reasoning is that removing bunny hop from Quake is like removing jumping from Mario, or the dash spin from Sonic. It's part of the core of the game, it's what makes Quake's movement so unique and smooth, it adds momentum to the players flow because coming to a complete stop is "punished" by slowing you down, so you have to ramp up speed again, this makes you feel like you should always be in constant movement in Quake -- To me, that's what makes Quake stand out from the crowd.

Just because it started out as a "bug" in the original Quake's physics, it doesn't invalidate it's significance, I wish all gameplay bugs had this kind of magnitude. :P 

You also did not offer a tangible reason on why you really think bunny hopping should not be in Quake other than comparing it's absence in CS and UT. (CS is a much slower paced game, where constantly moving or jumping around is not part of the game's core, so bunny hopping doesn't really offer much there. UT's movement is also a bit more erratic in flow because of it's iconic dodge.)

11 hours ago, SotaPoika said:

It seems a new closed-beta wave starts for this weekend?

They're opening it up again today.!

7 hours ago, knj said:

Do we have some ID guys here? I would kill for BETA key :)

I know someone who knows a guy who has a friend that works there. Just pm me your full name and email address :)

edit: Same for you SirK. :) 

Edited by BJA
grapen, knj and SirK like this

2 hours ago, [HP] said:

The flaw in your reasoning is that removing bunny hop from Quake is like removing jumping from Mario, or the dash spin from Sonic. It's part of the core of the game, it's what makes Quake's movement so unique and smooth, it adds momentum to the players flow because coming to a complete stop is "punished" by slowing you down, so you have to ramp up speed again, this makes you feel like you should always be in constant movement in Quake -- To me, that's what makes Quake stand out from the crowd.

Just because it started out as a "bug" in the original Quake's physics, it doesn't invalidate it's significance, I wish all gameplay bugs had this kind of magnitude. :P 

You also did not offer a tangible reason on why you really think bunny hopping should not be in Quake other than comparing it's absence in CS and UT. (CS is a much slower paced game, where constantly moving or jumping around is not part of the game's core, so bunny hopping doesn't really offer much there. UT's movement is also a bit more erratic in flow because of it's iconic dodge.)

They're opening it up again today.!

Thanks for argumenting.

Just to be clear I wasn't saying "bunnyhop disappeared from CS so has to disappear from Quake", I'm well aware they are polar opposite in terms of gameplay, neither I think all bugs that end in happy accidents need to be removed... but like @Klems explained very well, this just makes it look like the game is stuck in the past.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but my thinking is that Rocket Jumping adds a feature that can't be replicated in any other way (unless you consider adding pick-ups of sorts), while Bunny Hopping is just basic movement (we all agree is part of the core). If the point is speed and inertia I'm pretty sure that it is possible to find a way to make this more widely accessible? I mean you could still jump around to be a harder target...

I guess it was especially annoying me in the video because like Klems I find it sort of disorienting/nausea inducing. Maybe not so much if I was actually playing it...

Unlike Klems I don't think that double tapping (or other combinations) are shit on principle, something's gotta give and in a fast game you'd rather compact commands like that compared to adding buttons. And you can have contextual stuff happening for traversing, I mean same button behaviour for wall-walk and vault over, for example.

Hope makes sense.

[HP] likes this

Bhops was just one of those happy accidents. Like Penicillin.

I got in thanks to @BJA and I fucking love it. It plays and feels like Quake. It's fast, fluid and brutal. The maps are gorgeous and overall it just feels like home. I played TDM with friends and I didn't feel the need for Champion abilities at all so I can't say much about that yet. The only thing that bothered me is that they keep saying the same goddamn thing over and over. It's so annoying, that after 30 minutes of play I just turned the sound of because I couldn't handle it anymore. 

BJA, phantazm11, SirK and 1 other like this