Yanzl

VMT Editor - fast and simple editor for vmt files

50 posts in this topic

Excellent tool for getting your vmt's done quickly without having to search the wiki or though valves files for the correct parameters. 

Logic, Yanzl and Motanum like this

On 5/9/2016 at 4:51 PM, Yanzl said:

Hey Mapcore!

This is an open source vmt editor that aims to improve the tedious experience of editing text files with an easy to use UI and fast workflow.

Dima Butemann did most of the heavy lifting involving the programming while I took care of the UI and bothered him about updating it.

It has texture previews, can convert jpgs, pngs or tgas to vtfs (and move them to proper directories), verify vmts, features a batch vmt creation and has support for (most of) new parameters introduced in Nuke CS:GO update. 

WMGbQNu.png

Version 0.9 can be found here: DOWNLOAD

Alternatively, if any of you know Qt and C++ and would like to help with the project, you can check out our git repo at https://gitlab.com/Gira/VMT-Editor

Here is a quick video to demonstrate how fast making vmt files is:

If it doesn't find any games you have to manually add them in the Manage games dialog:

qM08hS9.png

And browse to the main game directory:

CetnLom.png

Please keep in mind that it is still in beta so some bugs may occur. Some parameters may not parse properly so refresh the vmt preview before saving to see if there were any issues. If you find any bugs you can post them here.

Also a shoutout to the creators of VTFLib (http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/) that provides the texture converting and preview functionality. 

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Gale said:

Thank you!

Please don't quote an entire post like that just to say thank you. It's a complete waste of space.

Great job @Yanzl I can't wait to give this a try when I'm back

What's the difference between this and vtfedit?

Does it not support DXT5 compressed vtfs?

Edited by Dosentti

This editor is focused towards creating vmts, not vtfs. Using VTFEdit for creating vmts is more or less like using a text editor, and you have to remember or search for all the parameters. In VMT Editor you can just tweak sliders and checkboxes to get your desired material look, no parameter memorization necessary. As for DXT5 compression, they both support it.

Dosentti likes this

5 hours ago, Yanzl said:

This editor is focused towards creating vmts, not vtfs. Using VTFEdit for creating vmts is more or less like using a text editor, and you have to remember or search for all the parameters. In VMT Editor you can just tweak sliders and checkboxes to get your desired material look, no parameter memorization necessary. As for DXT5 compression, they both support it.

Would you guys consider phasing out vtfedit entirely? It's bothersome that it never got 7.5 support, plus it would put everything under one roof.

12 hours ago, Yanzl said:

I tried to create decal through it, but it didn't recognize an alpha channel at all. Through vtfedit it went very well. 

I find it annoying that browse button is disabled every time I start the program. It's not a big thing to add a game every time but it could remember the last used game. 

VMT Preview is great and program has very nice features too. I don't know where to use all those stuff so there could be those little question mark icons in the main screen after every property (Meaning headings like Other, Color, Specular...) that would stand shortly which button/slider does what. People will learn those eventually but this would make it easier to use as a new mapper/texturer.

FMPONE is right that since you have all the keys to create updated tool for this stuff, you should do it. All texture tools in one program.

Any plans to support phong shading as one of the toolbars?

Awesome tool so far.

16 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Would you guys consider phasing out vtfedit entirely? It's bothersome that it never got 7.5 support, plus it would put everything under one roof.

I'm not really much of a coder, I can add new parameters and simple stuff like that, and to include all the functionality of VTFEdit it would take a lot more work. Dima (the main programmer) is also not really committed to the project anymore, so unless we get some new programmers it's probably not going to happen. Also, VTFEdit has 7.5 support, you just have to download 1.3.3 version not the 1.2.5.

7 hours ago, Dosentti said:

I tried to create decal through it, but it didn't recognize an alpha channel at all. Through vtfedit it went very well. 

I find it annoying that browse button is disabled every time I start the program. It's not a big thing to add a game every time but it could remember the last used game. 

VMT Preview is great and program has very nice features too. I don't know where to use all those stuff so there could be those little question mark icons in the main screen after every property (Meaning headings like Other, Color, Specular...) that would stand shortly which button/slider does what. People will learn those eventually but this would make it easier to use as a new mapper/texturer.

For the alpha to show you have to check either transparent or alpha test in transparency group. Seems there's bug with alpha test though, it only shows half the texture.

PL2ygs0.png

Remembering last game should work, can you check in options if Save last selected game is checked?

And adding tooltips is planned but not a priority, for now I hope the post explaining stuff above will do.

4 hours ago, JSadones said:

Any plans to support phong shading as one of the toolbars?

Awesome tool so far.

That's the Specular group.

On 5/24/2016 at 5:51 PM, Yanzl said:

For the alpha to show you have to check either transparent or alpha test in transparency group. Seems there's bug with alpha test though, it only shows half the texture.

PL2ygs0.png

Remembering last game should work, can you check in options if Save last selected game is checked?

And adding tooltips is planned but not a priority, for now I hope the post explaining stuff above will do.

Aight, I was just too dumb to realize that :D

I have checked the "save last selected game". Anyways it's not so big deal. 

One other thing that would be small but great thing is that program would automatically suggest the name for the .vmt file. It could be the same name as the base .vtf has.

Anyways, great work with the tool, I'll start learning how to make awesome textures with it. At least it's easier to know what is possible to do with the textures.

Does csgo support all the stuff that this tool is for or is there some stuff that work only other games?