[CSGO] de_piranesi Remake (WIP)

Mondy00

After considering a remake of several source maps, I settled on de_piranesi. The goal is to inject competitiveness, balance, and beauty into the source/1.6 version. 

Some screenshots:

Spoiler

Overview

20170423033430_2.thumb.jpg.2b7a9e08be7351613b9cee23861d5cbf.jpg

A site

20170423033224_2.thumb.jpg.759697bcbf05cb6bf1f8665120f27a17.jpg

B site

20170423033353_2.thumb.jpg.55e555f696d2f0e242b813c0a53c6887.jpg

Upper Mid

20170423033153_2.thumb.jpg.adfbb398ee95565e125d97a6f59d13a8.jpg

Some important notes:

1.) Compared to cs_italy and de_canals, my remake will be much more medievil. Less plaster, more eroded brick and concrete.

2.) Compared to de_inferno, piranesi will be more urban and taller.

Here's the workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=637979009

Feedback is welcomed and very much appreciated.

Spoiler

Old and sad screenshots for giggles

20160405031632_2.jpg

20160405031829_2.jpg

20160405031901_2.jpg

20160405031957_2.jpg

buildings14canal.PNG

Edited by Mondy00
Updated 4-23

Hasn't this map been remade, like SO many times? For instance Andre Valera's version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=235493579&searchtext=Piranesi
And more: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=730&searchtext=Piranesi&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home
Not trying to stop you, but you really need to make something absolutely stunning to beat competitors, I'm really curious how the new style would turn out.

Also, i feel like - if you are going for the Venetian-ish theme - the canals normally in Venitia and in the pictures you showed. Of course this might kind of change the layout, but I myself would really miss those canals. I suggest flowing a canal through here:

Spoiler

20160405031957_2.thumb.jpg.73186b6432b3206a4d7f2281d0d78512.jpg

This could really give the map a nice feel and would give it a landmark. These canals could also really easily divide the playable area and the unplayable area.

Good luck!

Edited by Klassic

Most, if not all, of the remakes fall short because they are straight ports, were abandoned long ago, are unfinished, or don't execute a fresh, unique theme. I think they haven't taken off for those reasons. Also, my remake has a strong emphasis on competitive play, which is not to say that the others should have attempted that as well. When I'm done, I hope for theme and balance to speak for themselves, and produce a map that people love to play.

Also, the canal idea is interesting! I will think about it for sure.

Thanks

I'd suggest to get rid of the foliage over A bombsite. It's really hard to see out from it upwards and under it from the bridge itself.

I get it while it's covered though. A site in original piranesi is pretty open and bridge control determines if you can win the match as T after planting on A or take it over as CT if T's plant on it.

Piranesi has always been extremely CT-sided map, unless T's manage to quickplant or rush over to the bridge and take over the map from there. It's a great map though, one of my favorites back on CS Source. I hope you can make it even better.

22 hours ago, ics said:

I'd suggest to get rid of the foliage over A bombsite. It's really hard to see out from it upwards and under it from the bridge itself.

I get it while it's covered though. A site in original piranesi is pretty open and bridge control determines if you can win the match as T after planting on A or take it over as CT if T's plant on it.

Piranesi has always been extremely CT-sided map, unless T's manage to quickplant or rush over to the bridge and take over the map from there. It's a great map though, one of my favorites back on CS Source. I hope you can make it even better.

That's kind of the goal of the foliage.

6 hours ago, lynx said:

I kinda like the new theme and some changes, but I really miss the inside area of the bridge. The map also feels huge compared to the Source version. especially the road/bridge, It almost feels like AWP_piranesi. :/

I've been thinking about ways to implement lower bridge that add to the gameplay, but it's quite the challenge. And in terms of size, most of the major encounter points are very similar. The tall walls with no detail also make the player feel small at this stage. I still like your points though. I'll think about them going forward. Thank you

On 8.4.2016 at 11:00 PM, Mondy00 said:

I've been thinking about ways to implement lower bridge that add to the gameplay, but it's quite the challenge. And in terms of size, most of the major encounter points are very similar. The tall walls with no detail also make the player feel small at this stage. I still like your points though. I'll think about them going forward. Thank you

maybe i was too harsh, but it was my all time favourite map and i really want a good remake! :D

The map has been updated after incorporating some feedback from a recent playtest. Please let me know what you think!

On 4/10/2016 at 3:08 PM, lynx said:

maybe i was too harsh, but it was my all time favourite map and i really want a good remake! :D

I'm doing everything I can to ensure it's great. Thank you for your interest. Let me know how you like the map's progress as it continues.

Spoiler

the map needs a sewer system

really the map looks kind of skinny for some reason

awping is going to be a major sticking point, you could take the map toward executions a la d2/mirage, figure out creative ways to force counter terrorists to play the sites (mirage, inferno) or balance the aim duels(across the yard ect ect)

definitely a map that deserves a remake, though

Edited by jebus_c

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I've been working on a huge update to really bring the map back in line with the Piranesi that I loved on source. At this point, I've gotten the areas playable enough to be sent to the workshop and tested. 

The changelog is on the workshop. Here are some screenshots:

20160503024545_1.jpg20160503024409_1.jpg20160503024521_1.jpg20160503024441_1.jpg20160503024431_1.jpg20160503024501_1.jpg20160503024528_1.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the map's progress. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=637979009

38 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Nice! Thought that was looking a bit different from the original when you started the topic.

That being said, would be cool to see a completely different theme based on same layout… the big wall in the middle could easily be a dam, more so now that you have that little river treaklying in the open.

The theme is based on venice, the canals, and the straight, aligned colorful buildings. I think Piranesi would be bland if it did not get a theme change, and it would become something like Cobblestone 2. So yes, the layout will remain the same, but the theme has been different from the start. 

Check this google image search for the feel I will be aiming for. 

Thanks for posting