Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sprony

Dark Souls 3

62 posts in this topic

Bump!

I've been thinking about picking up one Dark Souls game. I'm wondering which one you guys would recommend? For a newcomer that is. I imagine later entries have lots of quality of life improvements but who knows if one of the earlier ones is just better in different ways?

2 hours ago, Puddy said:

Bump!

I've been thinking about picking up one Dark Souls game. I'm wondering which one you guys would recommend? For a newcomer that is. I imagine later entries have lots of quality of life improvements but who knows if one of the earlier ones is just better in different ways?

There are definitely different strengths to each entry in the series. The first one rules supreme in terms of level and character design. If you don't mind the dated visuals I would start out with 1. It will also give you a lot of backstory (as long as you're looking for it). Second best I would say is 3, as the level design is pretty solid and the gameplay has been refined. If you're playing 1 and don't have a controller, you need DSFix for M+KB to work.

Either way, I love the entire series. They remind me of the great games of the 90's, in that they let your imagination fill in the blanks. There are no maps. No UI/quest log telling you were to go. Plenty of obscure secrets that you might never figure out on your own.

Jetsetlemming and AlexM like this

Yeah I would say 3 is slightly more accessible but 1 has the most impressive world design out of all the games in the series. 

I'm gonna go for the controversial recommendation and say Dark Souls 2, because unlike 1 and 3, DS2 doesn't have a boss gatekeeping the exit to the tutorial area. DS1's isn't too bad, but Gundyr in DS3 is an enormous troll to new players if you don't happen to pick a class strong against him.

bullshit. ds2 is a decent game, but it's not a game to start with.

ds3 is a fantastic game, but it's very much like a 'greatest hits' of all the souls games.

i would personally recommend ds1, get dsfix, get rekt.

there's a reason the souls games took off as well as they did and i think ds1 is the biggest reason, it's absolutely the right game to play first.

AlexM likes this

Agreed with Rick. DS1 is the best Dark Souls game, I'd highly recommend it. I played it about 4-5 years ago and loved it.

Okay, thanks for the replies guys, I added DS1 to my list!

Man, Darkest Dungeon really sparked my interest in masochism.

Sprony likes this

11 hours ago, Puddy said:

Okay, thanks for the replies guys, I added DS1 to my list!

Man, Darkest Dungeon really sparked my interest in masochism.

Let us know how angry you were before finally beating the (intended) second boss :D

Puddy likes this

Last piece of content we'll ever get(?) for my favourite game series of all time is out. I've been told it has the toughest bosses yet.

Edited by grapen
Minos likes this

Could everyone please stop releasing awesome games for about 3 years so I can catch up?

I've been holding off from playing the previous DLC so I can do a brand new run with both DLC. 

I'm waiting for the GOTY edition.

AlexM likes this

The DLC was a great end to an excellent series. Closure at last :) 8.5/10

Beck likes this