Mass Effect Andromeda

-HP-

why is it that hl2 had and probably still has better lipsync than most games these days?

do players even care about good lipsync? is it such a low priority thing in modern games or it's just that difficult to do right? genuinely asking, I don't know much about these things.

Edited by tomm

3 hours ago, tomm said:

why is it that hl2 had and probably still has better lipsync than most games these days?

do players even care about good lipsync? is it such a low priority thing in modern games or it's just that difficult to do right? genuinely asking, I don't know much about these things.

Scope basically. Lipsyncing a linear narrative with very few talking characters is one thing, but for expansive RPG's with multiple outcomes to everything and tonnes of dialogue, they use algorithms instead. I don't have first hand experience, just relaying what the former lead animator at BioWare had to say on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying it a lot, just picked it up though, I waited for some patches and I'm glad I did. 

Spoiler

Feels a lot like Dragon Age Inquisition structure wise, and I'm happy about that. The Mako exploration of the first game was one of the most unique aspects in the game series, and they've put a lot of focus on world exploration now, only time will tell if they can keep up the cool feel of the first major planet you go to. The first proper scripted mission was fun, with some sick unique visuals and theme. Very total recall, though, having the Asari scientist show up just like Liara in the first game was a bit cheap :P Music seems a little generic too, not bad, just too much like DAI for my taste, still acceptable, just lacks personality and wreaks of somebody who was not confident with the IP or was shot down by politics. 

• 2 weeks later...

The game gets better and better I must say, kind of reminds me of Inquisition, after the first planet it starts quite overwhelming and the pacing soon drops off a bit, but once you get your head around the journal and optimizing your tasks for each area it flows quite nicely. Ignoring the technical issues I'm confident in saying I prefer it to Mass Effect 3. Must admit, some of the best times I've had with it so far are the emails from various team members, really well written. I'll probably type up something more substantial once I've completed it a few times, it is after all my favorite single player IP. Oh and the soundtrack is actually better than I thought, the Spotify album is just a bit weak and missing some of the better tracks, typical. 

• 1 month later...