Dishonored II

El Moroes

Since I've been getting several pm's about my hands on session, here's a brief overview of my experience. It doesn't contain any big spoilers but it does tell you how it plays and so on. I put it in spoiler tags just to be sure.

Spoiler

It was really good. The level design is amazing. I know that word gets used too often, but really, it was. I played the Clockwork Mansion mission. I don't know how you build that, but the entire level keeps changing when you pull certain levers. Truly some solid piece of level design. Areas are bigger, you have more powers and even more ways to play. Emily is a very cool addition with some awesome powers of her own. I played the mission multiple times and each time in a completely different way. It's also even more violent than the first one. Especially Emily has some cool abilities that really tempt you in going out full rampage. This is going to be good, really really good.

I also love the fact that one guy demonstrated the mission by going full stealth and simply completing it in under a minute without being seen at all.

• 1 month later...

Watched the first minute and got turned off so badly when they started talking about the abilities. It already feels like the player is going to be the living embodiment of a power fantasy instead of focusing on what seems to be an otherwise well constructed immersive sim experience. Maybe I'm just not in the target demographic anymore.

Saw another review calling it a "worthy sequel to Thief". I don't think they remember what Thief was all about:

Newsflash guys, some people are complaining about problems on PC!!! Who would have guessed..... Anyway, here's a link you should probably check if you're playing Day1 pre-patch version. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-10-arkane-looking-into-dishonored-2-pc-performance-complaints

My copy is in the mail so I'll most likely play it tomorrow night.

More relevant pointers from the comments:

I figured out what the issue is, and for once it was by listening to that oft-awful Nvidia Experience app.

Turns out that the default anti-aliasing the game uses (TXAA) even on Low detail presets is THE ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE HOG, and possibly just broken in general. Turn it down to FXAA High and you'll have a nice smooth game even with everything else up high.

My GTX 1060 runs Doom 4 at Ultra, 1080p, 60fps unbroken. Same with Titanfall 2. Dishonored was hitting 15-20fps in places until I turned off TXAA. Still not solid 60 in busier scenes, but definitely most indoors areas now.

Funny thing is that the TXAA performance drops were almost completely independent of any other setting. Drop it down to Low at 1600 x 900, and it still crawled so long as TXAA is on. So yeah, change that ONE SETTING and you'll be good. Hopefully they'll either fix it or patch in a better alternative somewhere between FXAA and TXAA.

Liking the game so far, but the controls are super weird?! Mouse sensitivity can vary greatly in speed from area to area and depending on where you're looking. I've got a really smooth framerate and it doesn't feel like input lag at all. I've obviously turned off mouse smoothing and fiddled with the settings. The game doesn't feel as responsive as the first which is a bummer, but I'll just have to accept it.

Oh, and I had to set the FoV to 100 to not get nauseous, so don't forget to adjust that :-)

Edited by grapen