Sjonsson

Games W.I.P Thread

364 posts in this topic

what is a schwalbe? too afraid too google it at work :P

:D

I guess it's just called diving in English, I assumed schwalbe to be the general term in all languagues, my bad :P

According to wikipedia: In association football (soccer), diving is an attempt by a player to gain an unfair advantage by diving to the ground and possibly feigning an injury, to appear as if a foul has been committed.

schwalbe.gif

TheOnlyDoubleF and Pampers like this

Aha, well the bots were a test for adding a referee running around blowing a whistle. Adding diving should be easy, but should have a purpose as well, I want to maybe have players fall over if they run into a ragdolled character :D

what is a schwalbe? too afraid too google it at work :P

:D

I guess it's just called diving in English, I assumed schwalbe to be the general term in all languagues, my bad :P

According to wikipedia: In association football (soccer), diving is an attempt by a player to gain an unfair advantage by diving to the ground and possibly feigning an injury, to appear as if a foul has been committed.

schwalbe.gif

Would be amazing if there was one or more players who played umpires so you could trick them with diving and get free kicks, yellow cards etc!

great to see this thread up. Now I can retire my jams thread. I much prefer this way of handling it :)

Currently working on a fighting game engine from scratch. I have this week off from work where I plan to put a couple hours in each day. I'll post some pics when I have something going.

Currently I just finished the basic rendering code and gui implementation for debug stuff. Also finished up the first phase of the virtual input system (mapping input devices to a virtual controller). That has taken the longest so far.

Right now I'm starting up on the state logic and it's been a little tough. I've spent about 5-6 hours on paper and have kind of been avoiding programming it because I'm a little fearful of implementing it. I think it's gonna be a series of failures before I get something decent working. I'm trying to focus on studying the intricacies of Street Fighter to try and get some theoretical knowledge of what to do. 

Pampers and Sprony like this

Not a super big update this time, but it was a bitch to get working and networked properly.

Mapcore Allstars! GO! :D 

I never really wanted to play a soccer video game, but this looks hilarious. Just give a shout if you want people for a network test, we can use Hamachi or something!

great to see this thread up. Now I can retire my jams thread. I much prefer this way of handling it :)

Currently working on a fighting game engine from scratch. I have this week off from work where I plan to put a couple hours in each day. I'll post some pics when I have something going.

Currently I just finished the basic rendering code and gui implementation for debug stuff. Also finished up the first phase of the virtual input system (mapping input devices to a virtual controller). That has taken the longest so far.

Right now I'm starting up on the state logic and it's been a little tough. I've spent about 5-6 hours on paper and have kind of been avoiding programming it because I'm a little fearful of implementing it. I think it's gonna be a series of failures before I get something decent working. I'm trying to focus on studying the intricacies of Street Fighter to try and get some theoretical knowledge of what to do. 

Yeah I like it too! Don't retire it entirely though, you should like add the games there in a list. Or maybe I can do that here? Just make a list of Games of Mapcore, the name of the game and the creator?

Damn, that's a pretty big undertaking, looking forward to see some screens coming up! Good on you doing all that paperwork, I think it could save (programmer) lives if people just sat down and did that before starting. Maybe programmers do that all the time, they don't tell me, I just assume they don't. Seems like you're going to go really deep on the gameplay mechanics too, I'm quite sure someone wrote a theorycraft breakdown on Street Fighter if you do some googling, so you don't need to break it down all yourself. Unless you want too that is.

Spellsworn Steam Concept Update #3

Not a whole lot visual things are happening right now. We did change the magma and some other minor tweaks but there's still a lot of foundation work going on. I've managed to enroll a SFX composer and a Music composer for the project too, next video will hopefully contain proper implemented spell sounds, music and round-based gameplay.

Edited by Sjonsson
e-freak and TheOnlyDoubleF like this

dude, that's awesome. we made a prototype for a very similar game ages ago:

www.magerage.de

Edited by e-freak
Sjonsson likes this

Yeah I like it too! Don't retire it entirely though, you should like add the games there in a list. Or maybe I can do that here? Just make a list of Games of Mapcore, the name of the game and the creator?

Damn, that's a pretty big undertaking, looking forward to see some screens coming up! Good on you doing all that paperwork, I think it could save (programmer) lives if people just sat down and did that before starting. Maybe programmers do that all the time, they don't tell me, I just assume they don't. Seems like you're going to go really deep on the gameplay mechanics too, I'm quite sure someone wrote a theorycraft breakdown on Street Fighter if you do some googling, so you don't need to break it down all yourself. Unless you want too that is.

I haven't heard the term theorycraft before. Interesting I'll see if I can find anything. 

Also realistically I don't really write stuff down that much. Usually only when it's some sort of big state machine is when I have to really plan something out on paper. 

dude, that's awesome. we made a prototype for a very similar game ages ago:

www.magerage.de

Haha, looks like a pretty solid prototype! Didn't have anyone to play it with but I did open it! :D

I haven't heard the term theorycraft before. Interesting I'll see if I can find anything. 

Also realistically I don't really write stuff down that much. Usually only when it's some sort of big state machine is when I have to really plan something out on paper. 

I'm not sure if that is a coined word but its been used quite a lot on forums when it comes to breaking down game mechanics.  

Yeah, I guess its not always handy to write stuff down. I just happen to lover pen and paper designs :D

Man the amount of work needed to get a basic fighting game up and running is staggering compared to other types of games I've worked on. I spent a good portion of the day today setting up game data and the character state machines. 

I've just finished setting up the first schema for defining a character state definition. Which is basically a animation that drives gameplay. It has segments (which are like frames but they can exist for more than a frame so I called them segments to avoid confusion). Each segment has sprite animation data, hitbox data and attack hitbox data. I'm sure more data will be needed as I work on this. 

The data definition is done in Json. Since it's a fighting game and it needs to be really tweakable quickly so I took a lot of data definition out of code. Ideally you'll be able to edit the file while the game is going and have it update without needing to restart the game when you save the file. 

Here's an example state/animation definition (tried to use the code paste but that didn't paste very nice) :

tumblr_nbo1t0TNkJ1tlex9vo1_1280.png

Edited by AlexM
2d-chris, mkandersson and Sjonsson like this