PogoP

(UE4) Sci-fi Colony Bunk Room

101 posts in this topic

Thank you very much guys. Really appreciate everybody's feedback on everything.

Also, I made this tutorial on how I did my lights in the scene, specifically being able to control the brightness of a light on the actual mesh, and have the emissive texture and pointlights update at the same time.

blueprint_lights_01.jpg

Edited by PogoP
cashed, [HP], General Vivi and 4 others like this

I really loved this, a tad too dark in some areas which makes the chrome metals just look pitch black with some really sharp highlights on them.

In these cases, you'd probably want to reduce the metalness of the material a little bit and spread out the roughness just a notch, just so it reads a little bit more of the color map and it wont soak so much blackness from the environment.

Other than that, some really cool shit here man, put it on the marketplace!!

I really loved this, a tad too dark in some areas which makes the chrome metals just look pitch black with some really sharp highlights on them.

In these cases, you'd probably want to reduce the metalness of the material a little bit and spread out the roughness just a notch, just so it reads a little bit more of the color map and it wont soak so much blackness from the environment.

Other than that, some really cool shit here man, put it on the marketplace!!

Thanks man, yeah I noticed the black metal issue. It only came around when I made the lights in the environment completely dynamic (for the video when they flicker on/off), I had previously fixed it before. I need to look at fixing that again!

I got in touch with Epic and unfortunately they aren't accepting free submissions. I'll clean up the scene a little and put it up here for you guys to download.

TheOnlyDoubleF and [HP] like this

Not sure if it is a good idea to update the blueprint in every tick, instead of updating it whenever the variables are changed.

Not sure if it is a good idea to update the blueprint in every tick, instead of updating it whenever the variables are changed.

Oh right, yeah I'm just a bit of a noob when it comes to Blueprints dude. I was a bit cautious about making a tutorial and spreading incorrect knowledge! Well it's not incorrect it's just not optimal :D 

How would you do it differently?

Start with making the dynamic material instance in the construction script instead. You can then set the EmissiveMultiply to be Rep_Notify in its properties and you will get a function that runs every time the variable is changed, so you can put the rest of your blueprint in there. Will boot up the editor to make sure I'm not full of shit :D

Cool man. It was in construction script originally but it wouldn't update dynamically in Matinee. Ill give it another go!

Tested a bit in the editor now. So put everything in the construction script, which will allow you do to everything like before while in the editor. For matinee I guess it would be best to then put everything in a normal function if you want to control everything with just one value. You can also use a timeline within the blueprint to control stuff if you want :)

Edit: you only need to set the variable to be replicated if you are networking stuff

Edited by Pampers

Cheers man I appreciate that. I'll give it a go in a bit!

Grats on the feature, really stunning piece of work.