PogoP

(UE4) Sci-fi Colony Bunk Room

101 posts in this topic

I think these days just about everything has already been done with scifi interior design, but what I like so far with this scene is it has a consistent theme.

If you want to try something different, I'd like to see a scifi scene with touches of natural ... wooden floors and candles? I mean why not? Here's an idea, make it so using a control panel on the wall you can actually change the floor texture in real time, like it's being grown out of minute nanites ... maybe a bit over the top haha, would be cool though selecting from a bunch of lighting and textures themes and having them blend in an out in real time ... now that is the future. 

Theirs a but ton of really interesting research being done on programmable meta materials, this is relatively untouched in game art, mostly due to the issues of animating such objects.

Anyway, the scene is looking good!

Edited by 2d-chris

Hard to find some crits here. This looks amazing. The only thing i could "find" is the right wall in the 2nd screenshot. It feels so empty.

Nice stuff. UE4 looks awesome.

Someone spent too much time working on aliens :D

This!

Someone spent too much time working on aliens :D

Lmao. Yep, I'm such a sucker. I started at Sony and started doing a lot more organic stuff and instantly missed doing sci-fi. I think it's what I enjoy doing the most! It's definitely a little Aliens inspired, but I do want to differentiate from it slightly. 

I don't know if I'm really liking the placement of the wooden panelling. I think it looks ok, but the placement of it on some assets feels a bit random. I wonder whether to just use wooden panelling on the bulkheads with the lights, and also on the bottom of all the wall pieces. That might look quite nice, especially with the rubber on the bottom of each wall section. Kinda stole that from London tube trains heh.

p1167296118-3.jpg

Thinking about it, I quite like the idea of having concertina-style connections between doorways, almost as if the bunk rooms are detachable in case of emergency. Not sure exactly how that would work, might be quite cool if it goes airlock door -> concertina/connection -> airlock door. Hmmm. Kinda like this:

Moderncarriagecircleline.jpg

@Exodus - Yeah that wall is just blockout still at the moment. I'm thinking of turning it into a mini kitchen area.

@Chris - Ooooh that does sound like a cool idea. Thanks man, I'm gonna add those to the ideas list. I do like the idea of having fake wooden panelling to give it more of an earthy feel. I want this place to feel like a believable place, not just a random sci-fi space station.

Nice work, always love a good sci fi scene and it's going to look awesome in UE4. Looks like a good way to learn the engine, I'm probably going to do a sci fi scene to learn UE4 too as I also love sci fi, even if it is a bit saturated.

I'm really liking the light style in particular in that scene, the only thing that looks odd to me is that the floor looks like lego :D

PogoP likes this

Great work as usual!

If you need any help with the scripting side of things feel free to give me a poke. I should be able to help out :)

Looking rubbish Liam, start again! :D

Of course that's a massive and hilarious joke. Loving second shot particularly!

Thanks mate!

Haven't had a great deal of time to work on this much since my last post. I'm currently in a similar position to Minos, my mother in law is stopping with us til Sunday lol.

However, I have had an idea for the entrance of the bunk room. I'm thinking of making a sort of jetbridge kinda thing with 2 airlock doors. The idea being that these bunk rooms are modular and can just bolt on or off depending on what is needed, and can also be used as an escape pod. Should break up the room a bit and look quite cool as an entrance!

Cool! Love the retro angle, and the concertina-style doorways sound like a great idea.

My main crit is that the walls are very bare right now, and some of the edges in the doorways are very sharp (particularly in shot #2 on the left, and shot #3).

Hehe thanks Pampers.

God damn those shots are really terrible quality. Time to stop using Windows Snip tool lol, so used to using it at work to grab quick screens of stuff, didnt realise how terrible the compression is.

top left corner button in the viewport, there is an option for high resolution screenshots there :)

Edited by Pampers