DE_GWALIOR

FMPONE

Woa, congrats, this is beautiful.

The only thing a little off for me -but i'm just looking at the screens- is the underground sewer... it strikes for being too modern-looking, while i'd expect there to be even more ancient structures than aboveground.

But i'm nitpicking.

CUT

What about remaking awp_india with these? ^^

Edited by blackdog

Great work! Awesome really, especially given the time frame.

Some feedback, but only based on looking around and playing with bots. We need to play this map on the next test!

1. To me, the map seems a little too small for competitive play. It is also really fast, which is something a lot of the more competitive maps don't seem to feature, except maybe de_strike. I think it takes about 5 seconds for the T's to get to each site, meaning that the CT's don't have that much time to set up their defenses.

2. It also seems like it might be difficult for the CT's to camp in the bomb sites, and hold off the T's. The site near the sewer reminds me a little of de_piranesi, where if playing as a CT you camp in the more open site, it usually means you get shot from up high. All competitive maps allow for you to camp in the sites, and not have to push out to try and defend them.

3. The middle route feels quite dangerous because it has a really long sight line, and not a huge amount of cover. It has a bit of an "uncomfortable" feeling when going that way from the start of a round.

4. I get some obvious FPS drops near the CT spawn area, and the T Spawn area.

5. The map boundaries could be better clarified. Some areas look accessible - like the area behind the T spawn and one of the bomb sites with fruit and a palm tree behind some fencing. It is a bit trial and error the first time playing as to what can be accessed and what can't. The palm tree in this section is also clipping through the wooden overhead lattice type thing.

6. Some meshes are clipping into the floor and walls. Things like foliage meshes in the ground, and several crates are pushed into solid geometry.

7. The rock textures, and the aztec textures look really low res compared to the custom stuff. In some cases, I think it is because they have been scaled too high.

8. There are general smoothing issues on some of the curved brushes.

9. The drop down from the T spawn into the sewer sometimes leads to the player losing 25 health, because you miss the water, and land on a wooden board.

10. There is a collection of crates above the sewer site that are stacked quite high, yet the player can climb them. When up on top, there are a few examples of brushes being portalled out. Also, for players entering from down below, they almost have to look up 90 degrees to see someone standing them up there. I think the crates being accessible gives this part of the map a bit too much verticality.

Let me know if you need pics of these. Never had time to take them.

Edited by OrnateBaboon

great crit

Thanks for the Crit. An update called RC2 went out that addressed quite a lot of these points, so check it out! I would chalk a couple up to personal preference (such as the drop down from t spawn, I wanted it to be kind of skillful and not just automatic), and some come down to my n00by-ness with optimizing for source (such as the unfortunate portalling, which I take responsibility for). A big learning experience since previously I've relied on folks like 3Dnj to do some of the dirty work. Naturally I made a lot of mistakes that are very tough to go back and correct, unfortunately.

Hopefully I can eventually improve FPS a lot. Then again, I still may need someone's help to get an additional 10-15 FPS for the map, since I've sort of exhausted a lot of the obvious tutorials and need someone with a bit more expertise to take a look and critique the hinting/clipping/areaportal job I've done, perhaps giving me some pointers on how I can improve.

Thanks again

Edited by FMPONE