sarge mat

Prey

160 posts in this topic

Really loved this game, completed it the other day. Got a bit bored of all the running backwards and forwards though, it got a bit convoluted towards the end. Still, really great experience. 

Did anyone use any of the Mimic powers? I focused all my Neuromods on the 'normal' skills instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completed 'human' run too. I pretty much agree with @PogoP, it does get a bit repetitive towards the end but I really liked the focus the game has. It forces you to experiment different ways to use your environment against the enemies by limiting you to just shooting them.

At the beginning I did ambushes with triggered mines and turrets, I did fire traps from oil puddles, I bashed em with whatever I picked up from the ground, I used explosive objects to pulverize em, but once my weapons got so much more powerful and I was swimming with resources I just started shooting them in the end because bullets were not an issue anymore.

There was also a whole arsenal of psionic powers on the alien side of neuromods I didn't even touch. I maybe should have tried them.

The biggest issue was just the open world concept and never knowing how the player might proceed with the game if I had done way less side missions the game would have advanced better giving more variations, but I chose to sidetrack the main quest and collect huge amount of stuff along the way. The game was still totally awesome and really worth it. The ending also was quite something.

On to the next run with alien powers!

[HP] and Sprony like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FMPONE said:

My criticism of the combat reminds me of all the reasons they cut the water tentacle octopus things from HL2, that they were hard to track because you lose perspective when the tentacle flies at you. The enemies in Prey are just weird to fight, but that definitely has some upsides from a horror perspective

I get what you're saying and I agree to some extent. I don't think it's great when small enemies suddenly lash out with tentacles because it seems like their hitbox changes weirdly. I still don't think I've had many cases where small enemies have been an issue, mostly because I back off a bit and shoot them instead of letting them get the better of me in melee range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently playing through this on hard, about four hours in. All the "???" enemies are bullet (/glue/wrench whack/stun gun zap) sponges so far, unless I get a good toss of an explosive can at them, but it definitely keeps me on my toes when even the common mimicks can sometimes kick my ass. Also pretty interested in the story and its mystery so far. :) I tried exploring the outside of the station during the Zero G bit, as part of the second story quest, and got the shit kicked out of me by not one, not two, but three different weird aliens I'd never seen anything remotely like. Space is scary. :o

FMPONE, [HP] and Sentura like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jetsetlemming said:

Currently playing through this on hard, about four hours in. All the "???" enemies are bullet (/glue/wrench whack/stun gun zap) sponges so far, unless I get a good toss of an explosive can at them, but it definitely keeps me on my toes when even the common mimicks can sometimes kick my ass. Also pretty interested in the story and its mystery so far. :) I tried exploring the outside of the station during the Zero G bit, as part of the second story quest, and got the shit kicked out of me by not one, not two, but three different weird aliens I'd never seen anything remotely like. Space is scary. :o

The space part honestly felt so stunning the first time, it made me realize that was something I'd always wanted to do in a game but never knew

Jetsetlemming likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn 7 min and 48 seconds to complete this game. That's some insanely glitchy way of playing it. How long is this game in a normal playthrough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Damn 7 min and 48 seconds to complete this game. That's some insanely glitchy way of playing it. How long is this game in a normal playthrough?

Took me about 28 hours or so. I just finished it basically.

On a closing note, the game is superb at almost every level. It asks the right questions, the gameplay is some of the best, the levels and environments are solid gold. Spacing walking was great, even if rolling around made me queasy. The only thing I would say is that the game desperately needed to add more mineral resources, because even at the end game when I had tons of other resources, there was just:

But seriously, GOTY contender. I don't feel like I've been this immersed in a game in a long while.

Edited by Sentura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sentura said:

Took me about 28 hours or so. I just finished it basically.

On a closing note, the game is superb at almost every level. It asks the right questions, the gameplay is some of the best, the levels and environments are solid gold. Spacing walking was great, even if rolling around made me queasy. The only thing I would say is that the game desperately needed to add more mineral resources, because even at the end game when I had tons of other resources, there was just:

But seriously, GOTY contender. I don't feel like I've been this immersed in a game in a long while.

The Recycler grenades are the single best weapon idea in a video game since the Gravity Gun IMO, and they solve this problem (at least in my experience). If you can move an object around (even if only theoretically bc you don't have enough leverage), a Recycler grenade can eat it and turn it into resources for you. :D You can also use them on whole alien corpses (or live aliens!) to get extra Exotic material, too.

Edited by Jetsetlemming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now