Marcos

WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

13,285 posts in this topic

On 2017-01-05 at 5:14 AM, Klems said:

Here is my feedback:

Hide contents

So I played it on vanilla and recorded a demo, then I got a BSOD (unrelated to the map) at about 2/3 of the map. It was pretty fun all throughout apart from that. The ambush at the 6 buttons/elevators thingy was fun and unexpected. The secrets are well done, the monsters are well used. Good use of the jumping/crouching mechanic. I would've made it more clear that you can use jumping/crouching right at the start of the map, but I guess that's what the green armor secret is here for.

My main gripe is that there is waaaay too little ammo to work with, more than once I had zero ammo and a bunch of high HP monsters in front of me. I guess that has to do with not using brutal doom more than anything. I'll play on brutal doom, finish it and record a proper demo next time.

I got stuck after I got the blue key and opened the "main" blue door that leads to a big combat area with pinkies, imps and an archvile. The blue door opened, when I saw pinkies I backed a bit, and the big metal bars that were supposed to block my way back (I assume) closed right in front of me. In any case I had zero ammo left when I opened that door, there is no way I could've won that fight.

On the balcony with some imps and cacos that is accessible after you pick up the blue key, you can jump inside the arena with a bunch of pinkies and a hell knight. I'm not sure if that's intended but I got stuck here as well with no ammo.

Right after the starting area, I jumped into the lava looking for a secret. There were no teleporters in the lava and I died. Also I much prefer when the lava is solid rather than "watery".

I'm not a huge fan of having to kill monsters to open a door, but that's just me. I got stuck in the room with the SSG because I didn't have enough ammo to kill the revenant. I had to go to the blue armor secret to get 4 rockets to be able to kill him and proceed.

EDIT: replayed it in brutal doom and ammo was indeed only a problem in vanilla. Here's the demo http://www.cjoint.com/c/GAfldPuxNPM

The fight after the blue door was pretty difficult but fun, I think most of the damage was from these damn respawning imps. I had little ammo to deal with the hitscanners but that's ok. The puzzle area was great and had a nice "oh shit" moment when I realized there was a bunch of invisible archvile and lots of dead bodies around. I'm not exactly sure why there are UAC crates around, doesn't really fit the theme. The skybox doesn't fit either.

Apart from some ammo issues and a little more polish I'd say it's a pretty solid map.

Awesome feedback! I have been hitting this map really hard in the last few weeks now and a have addressed 99% of the issues you mentioned. yeah you really need to play in brutal for it to play correctly. I have specifically balanced the level around Brutal doom, which may be a bit controversial but I just want to do something new. This week I am going to have a new video showing the insane amount of work that has gone into the level to get it to the point where you played. Then next week it will be more reworking everything while doing commentary on a play through with a streamer named BZPlasma.So you can actually see someone playing the map while I talk about how everything played out.

This level has come a very long way in the last week or so and I am not quite done yet even now!

Klems likes this

At this point im losing a pretty good amount of sleep from this XD

HoMaRt and (HP) like this

5 hours ago, Jonny Phive said:

Finally had some time over the holidays to get back to this. DE_TITAN. ( hopefully that isn't taken haha )

Looks great, but TopHattWaffle has the exact same name and theme.. They are quite far in the detailing stage from what I've seen.

Example of the map (is from a while back however, they have progressed immensely)

.eJwNylEOgyAMANC7cABqW1DwMgtBgi66Eqhfy-4

Edited by JSadones
Quotingmc, Bevielis and SirK like this

7 hours ago, JSadones said:

Looks great, but TopHattWaffle has the exact same name and theme.. They are quite far in the detailing stage from what I've seen.

Example of the map (is from a while back however, they have progressed immensely)

Reveal hidden contents

.eJwNylEOgyAMANC7cABqW1DwMgtBgi66Eqhfy-4

Not signed in

Honestly, had no idea. I will move to changing the name and start a thread :) 

Edited by Jonny Phive

@Castle  That looks awesome. Does GZ come with DooM 2? If so... :D  Once I conquer CSGO mapping.

@Jonny Phive  Hey, I used to live in Ventura, few blocks off the Ave near the little poker room. Oh, and the map looks really nice man. How's C Street? Still good surf?.

Castle likes this

3 hours ago, PogoP said:

That Doom map looks amazing. Nice work. That mod looks so... punchy!

Finished up this scene tonight. Lots of fun learning more about Unreal blueprints. I might just spend a while learning them a bit more before I do anything else.

liam-tart-ss2.jpg?1484603855

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BzVo6

This turned out really well. The ambiance actually reminds me a bit of your Black Mesa work